Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R.I.P. Paul Harvey...and now..The Rest of the Story...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Paul Harvey...and now..The Rest of the Story...............

Paul Harvey, the legendary radio host whose career sharing "the rest of the story" with listeners spanned more than 70 years, has died, according to ABC Radio Networks.

Paul Harvey received the Medal of Freedom from President Bush in 2005.

He was 90.

Harvey died at a hospital in Phoenix, Arizona, where he kept a winter home, said Louis Adams, a spokesman for the networks. He was surrounded by family members when he died, Adams said.

Known for his deliberate delivery and pregnant pauses, Harvey's broadcasts were heard on more than 1,200 radio stations and 400 Armed Forces networks and his commentaries appeared in 300 newspapers, according to his Web site.

He had been hosting his radio shows part-time for much of the past year, after recovering from physical ailments including pneumonia and the death of his wife, Lynne "Angel" Harvey in May 2008.

"My father and mother created from thin air what one day became radio and television news," said Harvey's son, Paul Harvey Jr., in a written statement. "So, in the past year, an industry has lost its godparents and today millions have lost a friend."

Born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Harvey began his radio career in 1933 at KVOO-AM there while he was still in high school, his Web site says. He helped clean the station and was eventually was allowed to fill in on air, reading news and commercials. Watch how Paul Harvey Aurandt got into broadcasting »

"Paul Harvey was one of the most gifted and beloved broadcasters in our nation's history," ABC Radio Networks President Jim Robinson said in a written statement. "As he delivered the news each day with his own unique style and commentary, his voice became a trusted friend in American households."

I enjoyed listening to him years ago on A.M. and then on F.M.

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Now we'll never hear the rest of the story ... RIP
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I grew up hearing Paul Harvey every morning. An American original; he will be missed.

RIP...

Good day!
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
        I grew up hearing Paul Harvey every morning. An American original; he will be missed.

RIP...

Good day!
        As with another American Icon, Walter Cronkite, Paul Harvey was just one that you felt you could trust.

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I had never heard of Paul Harvey until I saw Rich Hall doing an impersonation of him on SNL.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

That's where I first heard of him, too. Then I heard the real thing; he was always worth the listen.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

He was the best. Better than Walter Cronkite. RIP.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Loved his work. Sad to see him pass.

Comment

Working...
                X