X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 Arrested for Assisting Suicide

Four charged in US suicide probe

Thomas Goodwin is reported to be president of the Final Exit Network
    Four people have been charged in a wide-ranging investigation in the US into an alleged assisted suicide ring.

Georgia's Bureau of Investigation (GBI) said the four were members of the Final Exit Network, charged with helping a man end his life by inhaling helium.

Police in eight other states are now investigating the group, the GBI said.

On its website, Final Exit Network says it is a voluntary, non-profit group supporting "those who need relief from their suffering today".

The group's vice-president, Jerry Dincin, said its volunteers did not actively participate in ending people's lives.

"When they choose to exit, as we call it, we just hold their hand. That's about it," he told the Associated Press.

'Exit guides'

The GBI said it arrested Final Exit members Thomas E Goodwin, 63, and Claire Behr, 76, at a home in northern Georgia after an undercover agent posed as a group member seeking assistance with his "suicide".

Two others, Dr Lawrence D Egbert, 81, and Nicholas Alec Sheridan, 60, were arrested in Maryland.

Mr Goodwin is the organisation's president, Dr Egbert the medical director and Mr Sheridan a regional co-ordinator, AP reports.

The four have been charged with assisted suicide, tampering with evidence and violating Georgia's anti-racketeering act.

Georgian police began investigating the group after suspicions were raised that 58-year-old John Celmer, of Cumming in Georgia, who had undergone years of cancer surgery, was helped to die.

The GBI said in its statement that new members of the Final Exit Network paid $50 (£35) to join and then went through an application process.

The member is visited by an "exit guide" and is instructed to buy helium tanks and a specific type of hood known as an "exit bag", the statement adds.

Under Georgian law, those found guilty of assisting a suicide could face up to five years in prison.
    Responding to people who seek information on how to end their lives of pain hardly seems like "assisting suicide." I could understand it if they took affirmative steps--there's always the danger that the ill person had a last-minute change of mind but couldn't communicate it to the others. But here, the arrested people only gave information.

Responding to people who seek information on how to end their lives of pain hardly seems like "assisting suicide."
    Teaching suicidal people how to kill themselves isn't assisting suicide?

Comment

Wouldn't that be criminalizing speech, Kuci?
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I don't think that's relevant to whether they actually committed the crime, do you?

Comment

Also, I don't think the First Amendment would apply here. Consider if I provided someone - who'd just expressed interest in blowing up a building - with the technical know-how to make high explosives.

etc.

Comment

I do if all they did was tell the guy what to do.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It seems to pass the clear and present danger test (as currently used).

Comment

Is suicide against the law?

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                  Must be in Georgia.

Imran, you're there. Are Georgians allowed to kill themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                    It is in a lot of states, IIRC.

Comment

...I know how to make explosives, so if I ever blow **** up on purpose my professors are going to get jailed?
                      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Order of the Fly
                        Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                          ...I know how to make explosives, so if I ever blow **** up on purpose my professors are going to get jailed?
                          Did you read my post?

Comment

I'm not sure I have a strong stance one way or the other on the overall AS element, but this does sound fishy to me. They charged money, for one thing. I don't like that at all. It's one thing to hold peoples' hands and give them information; but charging money makes them much more culpable, both (i imagine) legally, and to me morally - taking advantage of sick people.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                              Did you read my post?
                              **** no. Why would I read one of your posts?
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X