Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will Saudi Arabia look at alternatives to petrol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will Saudi Arabia look at alternatives to petrol?

Poorly, but perhaps due to more reasons than one:

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia, Feb. 20 (UPI) -- An Islamic scholar in Saudi Arabia said using ethanol or other alcohol-derived fuels in vehicles may be a sin for Muslims.

Sheik Mohamed al-Najimi of the Saudi Islamic Jurisprudence Academy told Saudi newspaper Shams that the prophet Mohammed banned alcohol for all uses -- including buying, selling, carrying and manufacturing, Al-Arabiya reported Friday.

Najimi said Muslims who use biofuel, which is made from fermented plants, in their cars are violating the ban since the substance "is basically made up of alcohol."

The cleric, who said his statements represented only his personal opinion and not an official fatwa, called for further study of the issue by Islamic religious bodies.
    An Islamic scholar in Saudi Arabia said using ethanol or other alcohol-derived fuels in vehicles may be a sin for Muslims.

Oh, jeez. The fact that it will ruin their economy is enough, why invent bull****?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Hugo Chavez feels the same about ethanol, he got very irritated when the USA made a dealw ith Brazil and Argentina to produce bio fuel there.

Hugo said that the land should be used to feed people and not to fill the cars of rich people.

VENEZUELAN president Hugo Chavez has slammed the US president George Bush's plan to substitute fuel ethanol for petrol, joining a growing debate on the continent over use of the biofuel.
      The Cuban leader, Fidel Castro, recently called the ethanol project a "genocidal" plan that would spawn world hunger, though Brazil's left-leaning government has agreed with the Bush administration to help boost the global use of ethanol.

The US produces ethanol from corn and Brazil makes the fuel from sugar cane.

Mr Chavez

said: "To produce the ethanol necessary to substitute the petrol consumed only in the US, it would be necessary to cultivate nearly all the arable land on this continent."

Like Mr Castro, Mr Chavez insists that planting corn and sugar to produce fuel will waste land and water resources that could otherwise be used to grow food.

Get all of the latest news from The Scotsman. Providing a fresh perspective for online news.
      I need a foot massage

Comment

I agree. World hunger would be solved, if we would just grow enough food.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

That was sarcasm I know but for those who didn't pick up on it Dashi was pointing out we already grow so much food much of it is wasted. The big problem seems to be the food is in one place and the starving folks are in another. Most of the time famines (North Korea, Zimbabwe, and the like) are a man made event with politics as its origin.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

While it is self-serving on his part, Chavez is correct. As soon as the U.S. began subsidizing corn to ethanol, world food prices shot up. There were food riots in Haiti as a direct consequence of this policy.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I'm pretty sure he's wrong about it being genocidal.

Comment

Seems to me the Saudis are decently set up for solar power...

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post

-Arrian
                  Solar power's just not as easy to ship all over the world.
                  Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Yep. Just looking for the bright side...

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Yep. Just looking for the bright side...

-Arrian
                      You should be flogged for that one.
                      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Thankfully, photons are spread reasonably evenly across the world. However, the Canucks are SOL. This doesn't bother me.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Say, can muslims use cleaning agents that contain alcohol? Or alcohol-sterilized surgery equipment?
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                            While it is self-serving on his part, Chavez is correct. As soon as the U.S. began subsidizing corn to ethanol, world food prices shot up. There were food riots in Haiti as a direct consequence of this policy.
                            In the short run perhaps - because world food prices are based on supply and demand, and supply contracted quickly in a way not easily dealt with by suppliers (you can't just suddenly grow more corn and put it out on the market tomorrow). In the long run, I suspect that will go back to the norm, and in fact the cause of solving world hunger will be helped, not hurt, by decreasing fuel prices and thus decreasing the cost to distribute food - which is one of the bigger hurdles to feeding the poor. There's plenty of food out there going to waste, but it's too expensive to ship it to impoverished areas.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

-Arrian
                              Praising the sun god is blasphemous!

Comment

Working...
                              X