$198 million to go to Filapino vets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $198 million to go to Filapino vets

In WW II, the U.S. made a deal with Filapinos that, if they'd fight along side us against the Japanese, those who did so would be given U.S. citizenship and army pensions. They did.

Then in 1946, Congress passed a law signed by Pres. Truman to strip them of their U.S. citizenship and deny them their pensions. For decades, they've been fighting to get these back.

Congress just voted money for their pensions, not monthly payments as original promised, but lump sums of, IIRC, $5,000 for those who have since become U.S. citizens and $3,000 for those who haven't.

Too great a debt, too little repaid, decades late. A bittersweet victory.

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/...02&m=101024286

I have never liked Truman.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Wow, what an amazing FU to all those vets.

Of course, since the communists were one of those groups that fought along side the U.S., I can understand why the U.S. decided to shaft them.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I never knew that about the promise and stripping them of it later... despicable on our part. $5k after 60 years is disgusting. $3k to those who never did get their US Citizenship back (meaning that the broken promise ****ed them twice over) is even more disgusting.

Comment

A broken promise is a terrible thing. That said why the promise was made in the first place is beyond me. Being paid to free your own? Wtf is that?

Getting the damned politicos to stop being so eager to even promise to hand out taxpayer money is a trick itself.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
          X