This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Awards

I would like to thank everyone at Poly for not starting a thread devoted to Oscar awards speculation and such this year. A welcome respite.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Oh yeah, that was today?
    B♭3

Comment

It's because the site is too dead to notice

Comment

I watched "Tora! Tora! Tora!" in tribute to the Oscars. Not really. But it was on tv. I forgot how long the damn thing was. Probably won't fall asleep until 4 am.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Feature films
          Award Winner Producer
          Best Picture Slumdog Millionaire Christian Colson
          Best Foreign Language Film Departures - Japan Yojiro Takita
          Best Documentary Feature Man on Wire Simon Chinn
          Best Animated Feature WALL·E Andrew Stanton

Directing
          Award Winner Film
          Best Director Danny Boyle Slumdog Millionaire

Acting
          Award Winner Film
          Best Actor in a Leading Role Sean Penn Milk
          Best Actress in a Leading Role Kate Winslet The Reader
          Best Actor in a Supporting Role Heath Ledger The Dark Knight
          Best Actress in a Supporting Role Penélope Cruz Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Writing
          Award Winner Film
          Best Writing - Original Screenplay Dustin Lance Black Milk
          Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay Simon Beaufoy Slumdog Millionaire

Special honors
          Award Winner Field
          Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award Jerry Lewis Comedic film & Humanitarian Work
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

It's too bad old Heathie boy couldn't win it on his own merits.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

When an award (Heath Ledger's) becomes a forgone conclusion months in advance, not because of the performance, but because the actor died, the whole thing becomes a joke.

Not that Ledger's performance wasn't good, it's just that it's obvious that he was locked in as soon as his stupid ass OD'd.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thumbs up for Sean Penn and for Dustin Lance Black.

Also, it was great to see Slumdog get the awards that it got. I was moved by Heath Ledger's family on-stage when they received his award.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

This was an utterly jawdropping show performance. Just amazing. The musical numbers with Jackman; the changes in the set as we go through the making of a movie; the extended actor nomination intros; the Sikorski crystals hanging around the stage; the orchestra up on the stage... Wow. Best Oscars I've ever seen. I was mesmirized.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yeah the betting line was 1-20. I doubt any award has ever had odds like that.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So do people actually watch the Oscars?
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        This was an utterly jawdropping show performance. Just amazing. The musical numbers with Jackman; the changes in the set as we go through the making of a movie; the extended actor nomination intros; the Sikorski crystals hanging around the stage; the orchestra up on the stage... Wow. Best Oscars I've ever seen. I was mesmirized.
                        I totally agree! Now I have more reasons to love Hugh Jackman.

1) His great body combined with his personality.

2) His acting.

3) Now his great musical performing talent.

All that's missing is for him to come out of the closet and get a divorce. Unless he REALLY is straight.

And yes, Darius, there are people who do watch the Oscars. And with this one, there was good reason to watch it. I went to a potluck held by a group of gay men and we had a great time watching this particular Oscars last night.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          Crystal helicopters?
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Those are "Swarovski" crystals, Imran.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                              I watched "Tora! Tora! Tora!" in tribute to the Oscars. Not really. But it was on tv. I forgot how long the damn thing was. Probably won't fall asleep until 4 am.
                              I watched that, too. Had to give up and go to bed about a half hour before you posted this, though. Great movie, but damn, is it long.
                              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                              X