Pentagon rethinks photo ban on war coffins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentagon rethinks photo ban on war coffins

I'm not really talking about pro or con for war. I would think that naturally, people don't want war.
    The question before you is on the showing of coffins. What do you think?

Flag-draped coffins of U.S. war casualties are seen aboard a cargo plane at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

WASHINGTON - Every week, Air Force cargo jets land and taxi down the runway at Dover Air Force Base, Del., carrying the remains of fallen U.S. troops. After a chaplain says a simple prayer, an eight-man military honor guard removes the metal "transfer cases" from the planes and carries them to a mortuary van.

The flag-draped coffins are a testament to the toll of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as to the sacrifice borne by those who serve in the military and their families. But this ceremony, known as the "dignified transfer of remains" and performed nearly 5,000 times since the start of the wars, is hidden from the American public view by the Pentagon.

President Obama said last week that he is considering lifting the ban on photographs and videos at Dover, in place since the Persian Gulf War in 1991, raising fundamental questions about the impact of such images on the public morale in wartime.

For Obama, changing the policy would carry some political risk as he ramps up the war effort in Afghanistan with tens of thousands of fresh troops, increasing the likelihood of combat deaths that could produce photographs of numerous coffins arriving at one time at Dover, the sole U.S. port of entry for the remains. At the same time, Obama has advocated transparency in government, and continuing to hide the Dover ritual from public view conflicts with that principle as well as with public opinion on the issue, polls indicate.

"Showing these pictures would remind people of the war," said S. Robert Lichter, director of the Center for Media and Public Affairs at George Mason University. But he added that "what turns people against a war is not knowledge that Americans are dying but the belief that they are not dying for something" worthwhile.

A majority of Americans favor allowing the public to see pictures of the military honor guard receiving the war dead at Dover, with about 60 percent responding positively and a third answering negatively in polls posing the question in 1991 and 2004.

'Full salute'
    Some families of fallen troops also support allowing the news media to photograph and videotape the ceremony, or at least letting the families decide whether to permit it rather than continuing the government ban.

"I would have loved to see them fly my son back in and give him a full salute," said Janice Chance of Owings Mills, Md., whose son, Marine Capt. Jesse Melton III, was killed Sept. 9 in Afghanistan's Parwan province. She said she is in favor of media coverage of the return ceremony.

"As long as it is done in good taste, and they are showing that the people here in the United States are welcoming them back and saying job well done, that is what I would like to see," she said.

Ralph Begleiter, a former CNN correspondent and WTOP radio reporter who teaches journalism and politics at the University of Delaware, has sued the government to obtain the release of some military photographs of honor ceremonies at Dover under the Freedom of Information Act.

"Dover is the only place in the country where the entire nation can observe the return of these casualties," Begleiter said. "The most important and dramatic . . . cost of war is the casualties, the troops who make the ultimate sacrifice and come back to their country in a casket draped with an American flag, and to leave that image unobserved seems to be disingenuous."

Other family members strongly disagreed, however, saying they felt media coverage would allow their lost loved ones to be politically exploited.

"This is very much Democratically driven to make it available to the public so they can publicize the negative side of the war and show the American public there is a high cost to be paid here," said Cal Peters, whose stepson, Marine Capt. Garret Lawton, died Aug. 4 in Afghanistan. "I think this is the ultimate disrespect."

Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates expects a review of the issue back within days, Pentagon press secretary Geoff Morrell said Friday. Gates is seeking "a way to better balance an individual family's privacy concerns with the right of the American people to honor these fallen heroes" and "is disposed, leaning, tilting towards trying to do more, if possible" to allow coverage of the ceremony, Morrell said.

At Arlington National Cemetery, the next of kin of the deceased service member decide whether to allow coverage by news reporters and photographers, who are kept far enough from the mourners so they cannot hear what is being said.

That policy "has worked well," said John C. Metzler Jr., the cemetery's superintendent. "Obviously it is traumatic, but how the military does it, with the precision and respect, is a very positive thing. I think the public also looks at it as positive."

Pictures of casualties have long played into the politics of a war — most notably in Vietnam, dubbed the "living-room war" for its extensive television coverage, including footage of coffins rolling off planes at Hickam Air Force Base in Hawaii as if off a conveyor belt.
    Yes
    93.75%
    No
    6.25%
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I don't give a damn about what anyone not in the military/a veteran/a family member thinks. As far as I am concerned this is basically a portion of the funeral, and thus a private matter unless expressly authorized by the serivce member prior or his family afterward (but not contrary to the stated wishes of the deceased).
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

There is something wrong with this poll but i cant put my finger on it...
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

No, AAHZ. If you want a ****ing banana, go to the children's area.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

As long as they're not personally identifiable, I don't have a problem with it.
          "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

I don't have a problem with it. I think it makes it personal. It should be personal. Again, believing a particular war is just or unjust has nothing to do with it. The public, in general, needs to be reminded that there is cost, and I think it adds rememberance to the sacrifice.

Comment

The public, in general, needs to be reminded that there is cost, and I think it adds rememberance to the sacrifice.

QFT. I never understood why this policy was instituted.

Well, OK, I know, but it always struck me as disingenuous and hypocritical in light of all the talk of honor, sacrifice, duty and service to one's country.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

QFT. I never understood why this policy was instituted.
                It was instituted for the same reasons we don't parade the dead as a matter of course in most circumstances in this country. Respect for the dead. We don't let news cameras bust into the mortuaries/herses/funeral parlors for anyone else, this should be no different.

Your desire to make political points does not trump my righ to privacy and respect in death. If you want a visual reminder of the cost of war go visit Arlington. Its free.
                "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I think that the ban should be lifted; my thinking may be off, but it seems that increased media coverage would ensure that full respects were being paid*. The military wouldn't want to slack off if they know cameras are rolling. Certainly a balance can be found between the current blackout, and not being painfully invasive.

*This is not to imply that anything disrespectful is being done now.

Comment

I voted no, but for me the most important thing is to pick a policy and stick to it from war to war and during a war. Otherwise, it's just a PR football rather than an honoring of sacrifice/respect for the dead.

War coffins can be used in certain circumstances for propaganda to encourage a war, after all.
                    Last edited by DanS; February 17, 2009, 23:49.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Or discourage.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                        It was instituted for the same reasons we don't parade the dead as a matter of course in most circumstances in this country. Respect for the dead. We don't let news cameras bust into the mortuaries/herses/funeral parlors for anyone else, this should be no different.

Your desire to make political points does not trump my righ to privacy and respect in death. If you want a visual reminder of the cost of war go visit Arlington. Its free.
                        Note that the explicit ban did NOT respect the wishes of the families... photos were banned even if they wished them.

I don't have a particular opinion, and thus won't vote in the poll, but I think there are two sides to the debate certainly. Reconsidering it, regardless of the ultimate decision, is definitely a good idea...
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I voted yes, but that wasn't a "100% of the time" vote. There should be restrictions or at least consideration given to what the families of the deceased think.
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post

I don't see this as a privacy issue; no funerals are being invaded. The victims are not identified; the grieving families are not on camera. I see the opposite -- an opportunity for the public to pay its respects to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice for your country. Done properly, it could be positive and inspirational.

I'm a tad miffed at your characterization of my opinion as being somehow politically motivated. In fact, it's not "motivated" at all. It's just my opinion.
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                              Note that the explicit ban did NOT respect the wishes of the families... photos were banned even if they wished them.
                              Good point there.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X