work advice thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work advice thread

i'm a bit tipsy, so bear with me. Actually I'm beyond tipsy- more on that later.

Perhaps I should have asked for advice from you guys first, now it may be too late. But instead I asked for advice from my local bartender. She was a hottie. She wore glasses to. She was hot enough you wanted to *** on her glasses, but the glasses were enough to ensure you would respect her in the morning. But I digress.

so appparantly I'm off the wagon. I have this big decision coming up. And I'm dreading this decision. As you all may know my company has cut back. So I have the choice between graveyard and swing shift. Graveyard is well graveyard. It sucks in every way. The people who work that shift (who I'll be working with) are ok, but nothing special. While swing shift has better people for the most part, but one person who I dislike (and whom I think dislikes me). So the question is where do I go? I've been trying to dicied this all day. this has been tearing me apart. to the point I had to get a few drinks at my local tavern (mopre than a few apparantly). This is the first time I actually conveyed my problems to a bartender- carrying on a stereotype. She was helpful (even though I wanted to **** her brains out). She basically said I should do what is best for me, and not worry about pissing off others.

As you all know I was fired from a job. Why I was fired, is still a little unclear. But what is clear is I pissed off my boss by not accepting working days (on projects) instead of working swing (which is more money). I was greedy, I admit. I also pissed off a graveyard girl (by saying I never wanted to speak to her again lol), and she happened to have connections which I underestimated. Anyways what happened is it seemed everyone teamed against me and complaned about me enough to get me fired. I am deathly afraid of that happening again. One thing to note is that was a crappy job with crappy benifits. Most of those people were people who were incompetant enough not to be able to hold a job at a real corporation. So perhaps they were a little more evil than most, perhaps.

So the question is, if I go to swing, will I piss off the other 2 swing shift people to the point they will try to get me fired? One other thing to note is at the previous job I was hot on a girl, a security officer was also hot on. As expect, a friend of that security officer complained about me hanging out with the girl in the office. A similar situation exists now where 2 of us are interested in one girl. So if I go swing we'll be working together. What I fear is this guy will do something similar and cause complaints about me to get me off "their" girl. As you can see, women are the root of the problem. . The easy way would be to go to graveyard shift and disown women altogther. But I would be unhappy on graveyard do to the shift being very boring, unfulffling, unchallenging, and just overall sucky.

So do I take a chance on swing and risk pissing off someone or go to grave where I'll surely be unhappy. Like I mentioned before, I work for a better quality company, that has better qualtiyh pyeole. These peole don't seem evil as the german ***** I knew before. They don't seem as likely to try to get me fired (and I wasn't the only person this german ***** got fired- she got fired many more).

Another problem is this guy is one arrogant *****. Even more an arrogant ***** than me (hard to believe I know). can I put up it with being second best? Perhaps the problem is I have more a problem with him, than he does with me. I underachieve in work for a reason. So I can be the best, But I'm not the best- only second best. This would be more apparant should I work the same shift as him. Could my ego survive this.

This has been plaguing me all day. So I splurtged and drank a few alcoholic drinks. I hate to htink of the calories they ahd. sigh. You always see people on tv ask bartenders for advice, so I did that for the first time tonight. I really don't know what to do. This has been the second hardest decision in my life (the first being putting my dog to sleep- rip Lizzie). In a way, I'm a weak, in that I don't want to piss off my coworkers. But then again, if I piss off my coworkers they could get me fired. But then again, maybe they have less a problem with me, than I have with them.

holy crap that op is long. well any advice is appreciated. the bt gave me advice, and I'll probably take her advice- mainly because she is hotter than any of you.

but seriously being unemployed is the last thing I want in this economy. I'm willing to sacrifice friends or whatever just to have a job.

Comment

Work swing.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

If you want swing shift, work swing shift. What's the big deal?
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Having worked some of both, I'ld go with graves, myself.

But, it depends on how you function. Personally, I function perfectly great on an average of 4 hours of sleep/night. I tend to sleep a good chunk on Saturday (7 whole hours! usually broke between 5 hours that night and a 2 hour nap), but weekdays, 4 hours is great. As such, Grave shift allowed me the most 'free time' to do with as I pleased. Could catch movies or go to dinner with my (soon to be at that point) wife before work. Get any business transactions done with no problem. And go have fun just about anywhere. Home by 6 AM, sleep till noon, go have fun for a few hours before work.

After a week or two, your body adjusts to the sleeping during the day.

Swings, however, the night went something like: Get off work at 11PM, hit the bar with workmates. Get home about 2AM, bed about 3. Wake up at 7-8 to shower. Most things aren't open in the morning to really go "do" anything, so typically just drug my ass around the house till it was time for work at 2.

Anyhow, that's my experience with the 2 shifts.
          One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
          You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

I need more info on the bartender before making a recommendation.
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

well I ignored all their advice anyways and took the horrible shift with horrible hours, and horrible days off. I have no life anyways, so it doesn't make a big deal. The hard part is sleeping. Not sure how I'm going to do that. I work tonight at 1am.

Last time I did something for myself (regarding my work schedule) I got fired. Yes there were alot more issues going on at that place, but some of this similar issues are going on here too (esp with regards to me and another guy being sweet on the same girl). I just don't want a repeat of the past. I'm trying to learn from my mistakes. Remember that one girl I had a crush on (made a thread about it). Well I took this shift one reason to get away from her. I'm already developing feelings for her, and I already miss her. Nothing is worse than being in love with someone who can't love you back (the way you want them to). I'm trying to avoid that this time around. So I kind of have to avoid her.

in the end I just didn't want to piss off my coworkers.

at least I have a job. But I'm not happy about it. I may try to find another one later this year, but it's risky to take a chance with senority.

Comment

1 am to 9 am?

Just curious.

Anyway, my advice on sleeping:

Block out the window. Cardboard, whatever you can tape into it.

If noise is also an issue, you might have to learn to sleep with earplugs.

Above all else, though, get into a routine. Sleep from time A to time B. Your body will adjust to your routine.
                One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Working...
                X