No announcement yet.

The Economic Situation in the Baltics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russia is apparently planning on "saving" the Baltics by forcibly repatriating them to keep "order." This may be Putin's test of Obama. Or he may try the same thing in Ukraine. Doubt he'll go after all four at once.

Soldiers being used to bring "order" and by the way collect massive debts. Buying off foreign governments by promising that the new occupiers will assume the bank-related portion of now "pacified" nation's debts. Does all this sound familiar? Putin is a careful student of modern successful propaganda.

Might want to get out of ther Solver while you can.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Solver View Post
      Latvia is in a crappy situation now.
      They should beg Finland to take them over.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Perhaps Russia could help them.
        I need a foot massage

Comment

As long as they don't notice the foot on their neck, I'm sure many would appreciate the return of order.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

If things continue as they are, there may well be a new government, or at least major changes in the government, before this thread is gone from view. Should it get really hairy, I hope that Dan has an Apolyton refuge set up in Canada
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

I'm in. Canada is a bit coldish, but it will suffice. Where do I send my CV?

By the way, I just read that a computer expert in Latvia gets about 800 euros at the moment. That's not bad money. I mean it's not much but unless you have a mortgage it should be enough to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
                I'm in. Canada is a bit coldish, but it will suffice. Where do I send my CV?

By the way, I just read that a computer expert in Latvia gets about 800 euros at the moment. That's not bad money. I mean it's not much but unless you have a mortgage it should be enough to survive.
                Unless you have a mortgage or a family.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

A computer expert in the States gets... six figures? Depends on how expert and in what, I guess...
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

That would even be closer to a computer expert who's just graduated / started a job. The average salary for IT people / programmers would be higher. And yeah, for now at least, computer people are somewhat less affected by the trouble, except for those who work in state institutions, where all salaries were cut and layoffs are also happening rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369 View Post
                      A computer expert in the States gets... six figures? Depends on how expert and in what, I guess...
                      That 800 number would be per month, not per year, of course. Yep, 10k Euros a year is definitely a lousy job in America but over here it'd actually be above the average wage.

Comment

But let's not forget taxes and pensions. The quoted 800 euro figure is net after all deductions. Average guy at Google, Microsoft or similar doesn't get six figures. Last I looked it was about 80 000 (gross) for non-managerial positions. That was pre-crisis. When you do some approximate calculations it comes out as about 2000-3000 euros net per month. Compared to 1000 in Latvia or Croatia it is better, but not out-of-this-world better.

Comment

Well, yeah, if you're talking after the deductions, that's quite realistic. You can definitely live on that... of course, the real problems are for the many workers who get paid maybe 500-some Euros, and that's before taxes.

Comment

Why don't the Baltics merge into one country?

Comment

Don't worry if the country goes bust, Solver. If there's no electricity, then you can hang a fat banker from a lamp post and set fire to him. They provide a reasonable amount of illumination and you'll probably only have to change them once a day.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                                Why don't the Baltics merge into one country?
                                Yeah, they should bring Russia in, and give it a new name, like "The Soviet Union".
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X