Government-imposed prices for real estate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saras View Post
    Yea, that's the "hiding the long tails" strategy N.N. Taleb has two books out dealing quite fiercely with the subject.

Still, existence of gullible fools with money does not mean the "markets have failed".
    No, but it means current method for compensating hedge fund executives is terrible.

Imagine, if you will, what the Republicans would say about paying regulators millions of dollars.
    It's probably the same thing we should be saying about executives being paid that much.

The problem with government is that they try to treat everyone equally and pay everyone on the same scale (more or less). Why should someone working for the Post Office get paid the same amount as their peer at the SEC?
    Because realistically very few employees at the Post Office should be at the same pay grade as the important people at the SEC.
    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Because realistically very few employees at the Post Office should be at the same pay grade as the important people at the SEC.

I don't think this is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post

I don't think this is the case.
        Hence the word "should" instead of the word "are." I'm certain the current system is all kinds of screwed up.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Which is the lesser evil - some government employees getting paid a thousand times more than others or Bernie Madoff and similar crooks slipping right under supervisors' noses with monumental ponzi schemes?
          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

The US Postal Service is huge. 700,000 employees. If the post office were a private company, its executives would be paid handsomely.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

And there would be 300 000 employees, all getting paid 2x more than now, but some butthole, Arizona would not be getting any mail or amazon shipments for free
              Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
              Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Go jerk off to Naomi Klein fantasies.

Look, I don't deny that she's reasonably shaggable, but I'm on record in these forums as being an official disliker of her books, so what's your point?
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
                  The problem with government is that they try to treat everyone equally and pay everyone on the same scale (more or less). Why should someone working for the Post Office get paid the same amount as their peer at the SEC?
                  Because the postal worker is more productive?
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

It's a nice blanket response to leftwing loons. Agree on the shaggability.

Comment

It's a nice blanket response to leftwing loons. Agree on the shaggability.
                      So how's your economy doing? All your women on the game yet?
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

The real estate market has proven not to be a stable market and price controls need to be imposed or these crisis will be repeated.
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon View Post
                          So how's your economy doing? All your women on the game yet?
                          Economy is ****. I'm married.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                            That it's a good idea? There are plenty that think it's a bad thing we underpay govt workers.
                            Really? The modern Republican party has "government sucks" as a core message. It seems to me, then, that it would be hard for them to simultaneously sell the idea of paying high-level government workers big bucks.

If I'm wrong about that... great! I agree that the government would be better off paying properly for talent. Good luck explaining the higher taxes required to fund that (at least until those talented new gummint employees start saving us money... we hope) to the base of the Republican party.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

So, in broad strokes, you have the elitist Republicans and the populist Republicans. The elitists would generally be in favor of what I said.

Comment

Populist Republicans want smaller government, not necessarily cheaper government. They're perfectly willing to spend tons of money on the aspects of government they feel are truly vital to the nation, like national defense. I don't see why they wouldn't support paying people at the SEC more; they'd just want the Department of Education cut, as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X