• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New life for anti-war film Pentagon suppressed

New life for anti-war film Pentagon suppressed
    By Brenda Sandburg
    Published Feb 14, 2009 10:43 AM

For 37 years no one was able to see “FTA,” a riveting documentary of the anti-war show that Jane Fonda, Donald Sutherland and others performed for GIs during the Vietnam War. The film was yanked from theaters one week after it opened in 1972, and all copies were destroyed. However, the original negatives were discovered a few years ago, and a reprint of the movie is now being released on DVD.

Sundance will broadcast this must-see movie on Feb. 23 at 9 p.m. and on Feb. 28 at 9 a.m. Docuramafilms is also distributing it on DVD so everyone can access it through Netflix and other outlets.

“FTA,” which stands for “F**k the Army,” played at the IFC Center in Manhattan on Feb. 2. Jane Fonda appeared in person to introduce the movie, along with David Zeiger, the director of “Sir! No Sir!,” and a representative of Iraq Veterans Against the War. “It really presents that time in a way that feels present and alive and real,” Zeiger said.

Fonda explained that the FTA show was intended to counter Bob Hope’s pro-war USO program. At the time, there was massive opposition to the war within military ranks, and GIs turned out in droves to see entertainers who told the truth about their experiences. Fonda and Sutherland had just finished filming “Klute,” when Dr. Howard Levy, known for refusing to train Green Berets, asked them to be part of the show.

Witty and moving, the production featured satirical skits (in one number Donald Sutherland and Michael Alaimo call out what’s happening on the battlefield like baseball sportscasters), songs (Rita Martinson’s “Dear Soldier” is remarkable), and searing commentary (Sutherland’s closing call for people to point the gun at the war makers is stunning).

President Richard Nixon would not allow the troupe to take their show to South Vietnam as Bob Hope did, nor permit them on U.S. military bases. Instead, they performed outside bases in Hawaii, the Philippines, Okinawa and Japan. During the two-week tour they held 21 performances for more than 60,000 service men and women.

Fonda said the military tried to keep them away by issuing releases that gave the wrong times for the show. But she said they waited until the audience turned up, and when thousands were unable to get into the packed venue, they held additional shows so everyone could see it.

“FTA” mixes excerpts from the show with interviews of GIs who talk about the government’s deception and the racism and sexism in the military. One Black GI says Black men should be exempt from the war. “The only place a Black man should fight is where he’s being oppressed,” he says. “I’m not being oppressed in Japan, Pakistan or Vietnam.”

The film also reveals what life was like for people living near U.S. bases. In the Philippines women and girls were forced into prostitution by poverty. One soldier says the prostitutes were required to get tested for sexually transmitted diseases and to wear green badges in bars to indicate they were disease free.

In Japan, a man describes what happened when the U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on Hiroshima. Standing by a river, he says the explosion rose 2,000 feet at the epicenter and thousands of people jumped into the boiling river to escape the heat.

Zeiger was instrumental in bringing this extraordinary film back to life. While making “Sir! No Sir!,” a stirring account of GI resistance to the Vietnam War, he tracked down the people who produced “FTA.” He discovered that “FTA” director Francine Parker had just the year before found the original 16-millimeter negative in a vault where it had been edited. She had blown it up into a 35-millimeter print but did not go further, as it appeared thousands of dollars in back taxes were owed on the film.

Zeiger discovered this was not the case, however, and took “FTA” to the Sundance channel.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Do you realize the Vietnam war is over?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      Do you realize the Vietnam war Conflict is over?
      Yeah, we did a terrible thing, involvement, promised all them citizens assistance and then turned our back on them and they were held accountable for their involement with U S Military Officials and the reprisals for swift and severe, if not permanent.
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Everything we know happened in the past, and the past is over. Therefore there's no need to comment on anything, ever.

In fact by the time you finish reading this it will be in the past, so no need to comment on it.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
          Yeah, we did a terrible thing, involvement, promised all them citizens assistance
          You mean the troops when they came home?
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

The war of Southern Aggression.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
              You mean the troops when they came home?
              Yes sir
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

History is entirely relevant to understanding the present.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

God, that's a terrible title.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                      God, that's a terrible title.
                      QFT
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
                        Yeah, we did a terrible thing...

Each time I hear/read about the vietnam war I can't get this old song out of my head:

In 1965 Vietnam seemed like just another foreign war, but it wasn't
                        It was different in many ways, and so were those who did the fighting
                        In World War II the average age of the combat soldier was 26...
                        In Vietnam he was 19

(TV announcer's voice)
                        The heaviest fighting of the past two weeks continued today
                        25 miles north west of Saigon
                        Wasn't really sure what was going on (Vet's Voice)

Nininini Nineteen, 19, Ni-nineteen 19
                        19, 19, 19, 19

In Vietnam the combat soldier typically served a twelve month tour of duty but was exposed to hostile
                        fire almost everyday
                        Ninininininininininin 19 nininininninin 19
                        (TV announcer's voice)
                        In Saigon a US military spokesman said today : "More then 700 enemy troops were killed last week in that sensitive border area. Through out all of South Vietnam, the enemy lost a total of 2.689 soldiers."

(Vet's Voice)
                        " You're eightteen years old and you're wearing somebodies brains around on your shirt, because they got their heads blown off right next to you .. and that's not suppose to affect you"
                        "I could never understand"
                        "What would scare me ? ... is that we were to send a group of eightteen year olds 12.000 miles away, and subject them to in a year of that obsanity, and have them not be affected ... "
                        "That's what would frighten me"

(Singing Girls)
                        All those who remember the war
                        They won't forget what they've seen...
                        Destruction of men in their prime
                        whose average was 19
                        Dedededededede-Destruction
                        War, War
                        Dededede-Destruction, wa-wa-War, wa-War, War
                        War, War

none of them recieved the hero's welcome
                        none of them recieved the hero's welcome

According to a Veteran's Administration study
                        Half of the Vietnam combat veterans suffered from what Psychiatrists call a
                        Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorder
                        Many vets complain of alienation, rage, or guilt
                        Some succumb to suicidal thoughts
                        Eight to Ten years after coming home almost eight-hundred-thousand men are still fighting
                        The Vietnam War

(Singing Girls)

Nininininininininin Nineteen, 19, Ni-nineteen 19
                        19, 19, 19, 19
                        Nininininininininin Nineteen, 19, Ni-nineteen 19
                        19, 19, 19, 19

Vietnam, Saigon, Vietnam, Saigon
                        Vietnam, Saigon, Vietnam, Saigon
                        Purple heart, Saigon, Purple heart, Saigon
                        Purple heart, Saigon, Purple heart, Saigon

wasn't really sure what was going on
                        wasn't really sure what was going on

When the average age is 19, including the officers, it means the average foot soldier was at best 18.

Did the US really do a good job sending 18 yo kids to war?
                        Remember, the average age of US soldiers during WW2 was 26.
                        The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                          History is entirely relevant to understanding the present.
                          Elaborate on why this film changes anything today.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Where did I say that this will necessarily change anything?
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                              Where did I say that this will necessarily change anything?
                              If it doesn't change anything (anything would include "our understanding"), then what value does it bring?

Comment

Working...
                              X