Dishwasher electrical help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dishwasher electrical help!

OK, my dad bought a new dishwasher and his old one was still newer then my current one so I'm going to install it in my house. Of course it didn't have an electrical cord so I went to home depot and bought a new one but the cord doesn't have black and red (while the dishwasher does). The cord has a green ground, one wire that is smooth, and a third wire that is ribbed. Is the ribbered side connect to the black or the red wire?

I should have looked at my old one but of course I disconnected everything before I thought of that. Anyone know which wire is which?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Wow, a chance to electrocute Oerdin and/or blow up his house...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Do your dishes by hand. Lazy carbon-imprinting bastard.

Comment

Figured out the electrical but the ****ing copper water line is ****ing pissing me off. I can't seem to get the threads to match up.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
          Wow, a chance to electrocute Oerdin and/or blow up his house...

Quite tempting - though, don't plan any trips to US if you do - I think it could be considered murder.

EDIT: Come to think of it - please do
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Here's the good news. I finally get the copper line seated and turn the water on to test it for leaks. No leaks. I then push the dishwasher back in and doing this put stress on the other end of the thin copper line casing a leak to start spraying water every where under the sink.

Reseating that end of the copper line and putting fresh teflon tape on it does not solve the leak problem. It looks like I'm going to have to buy a tool to cut off a quarter inch from that flex line crap and buy a second tool to make a new seat.

Comment

And now it doesn't work.

Comment

Comment

Hey, why do you ask Laz?

Comment

Duct tape.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Dude, go buy a flexible water line, they are like $10-20, and they are recommended for this kind of job. That old copper POS is not worth it, It'll probably leak down the line anyway.

BTW, I just installed a new one in my house about a month ago.

If you replaced a GE dishwasher, check the model on their website, there was a huge recall for models in the last 10-15 years and a $150 rebate on new GEs to replace the old.

Basically I got a new dishwasher for under $200 and it is better then the old one.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Sure as **** it is leaking.

I went into the kitchen to make dinner (tonight's lovely meal is hamburger helper) and there was a huge puddle in the kitchen. I've turned the water off to the dishwasher and am not dealing with it tonight. I really wanted this bastard to work too since my old one (which came with the house when I bought five years ago) looks to be a cheap one from the mid 80's while the one my dad gave me is a top of the line Maytag from around ten years ago (his girlfriend wanted a new refrigerator so they got a dishwasher to match the stainless steel finish on the frig). My old dishwasher only had spinning jets on the bottom but this one has spinning jets on the top and the bottom with oscolating jets on both sides so it should do a better job. My old dishwasher required me to rise and pre-wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher which was annoying but this one supposedly does a much better job so you just have to rinse the dishes off and then put them in.

Tomorrow after work I'm going to the home depot and checking out one of those flexible water lines because this copper line sucks ass.
                        Last edited by Dinner; February 15, 2009, 23:21.

Comment

Make sure you do a quick measurement to see if you need a 6' or a 10'
                          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

I'd help, as I know all this crap, but I'm druink and disowned this work to do something I enjoy doing . plubming sucks- even if it payes more than my current job. alot mroe. sigh.

Comment

Just imagine all the dishes you could have washed the traditional way in the time you've wasted sorting this out...

Also, why don't you just buy a new one?

Comment

Working...
                              X