Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CLIMATE/FORESTS ALERT: Urge President Obama to Say No to Filthy Canadian Tar Sands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLIMATE/FORESTS ALERT: Urge President Obama to Say No to Filthy Canadian Tar Sands

ACTION ALERT PLEASE FORWARD WIDELY!

Urge President Obama to Say No to Filthy Canadian Tar Sands

By Ecological Internet's Climate Ark & Forests.org projects
    http://www.climateark.org/ and http://forests.org/
    February 5, 2009

TAKE ACTION HERE NOW:

Canadian government wants special treatment for the
    world's dirtiest oil. In first overseas trip, President
    Obama must stand strong on clean energy and sufficient
    climate policies.

BRIEF BACKGROUND:
    On February 19, President Obama travels to Canada on his
    first presidential visit abroad, where he will face
    pressure from the Government of Canada to support
    production of Alberta tar sands oil. Called oil sands by
    proponents, tar sands are the very dirtiest of fossil
    fuels. Producing oil from tar sands emits three times the
    global warming pollution as conventional oil, requires
    excessive amounts of energy and fresh water, and destroys
    huge swaths of ancient boreal forest.

President Barack Obama must be strongly encouraged to
    stand strong on his new energy economy agenda and
    commitment to urgently address climate change, and reject
    entreaties from Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper to
    shelter the dirtiest oil on Earth from global warming
    regulation. Let the President know how seriously you take
    climate change, urging him to reject tar sands and
    support further immediate urgent action in pursuit of
    sufficient climate change policies.

TAKE ACTION NOW:
    No, I don't know why they are sending me this stuff...
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Oh noes, they want to take down the prized oil sands Asher is always so full of! Bummer!
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

What a joke. Worst thing Obama could do for the US economy right now is drive up energy costs and increase their reliance on middle-eastern Oil.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'd imagine it would be easier to topple Stephen Harper right now than it would be to somehow influence this through Obama.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

It's fine.

China has more than enough cash to replace American involvement in the oil sands.

I'm sure they will place some value of secure energy supplies.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis View Post
            I'd imagine it would be easier to topple Stephen Harper right now than it would be to somehow influence this through Obama.
            This has very little to do with Harper.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Since we have some of our own, I doubt we'll shy away from the Canadian stuff.

And we're trying to make jet fuel from coal too. At least the Air Farce is. Maybe they can wipe up the mess with the Kyoto treaty.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

At least it would be useful for something.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

That's an interesting use of the word 'overseas'.
                  Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                  Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                    Since we have some of our own, I doubt we'll shy away from the Canadian stuff.

And we're trying to make jet fuel from coal too. At least the Air Force is. Maybe they can wipe up the mess with the Kyoto treaty.
                    Global Cooling agents

Comment

I'm afraid oil sand will shut down by itself given the current oil prices. But when the economy recovers in the future, the world will need every last drop from those DIRTY stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                        This has very little to do with Harper.
                        But even less to do with Obama. My suggestion was a minor incremental improvement over the original.
                        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Utter ****ing insanity...
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Worst thing Obama could do for the US economy right now is drive up energy costs and increase their reliance on middle-eastern Oil.

Obama doesn't care about getting the U.S. off Middle-Eastern oil. If he did, he wouldn't have rescinded Bush's executive order allowing for oil exploration in large areas off America's coasts that were previously off-limits.

Comment

Originally posted by Naked Gents Rut View Post
                              Worst thing Obama could do for the US economy right now is drive up energy costs and increase their reliance on middle-eastern Oil.

Obama doesn't care about getting the U.S. off Middle-Eastern oil. If he did, he wouldn't have rescinded Bush's executive order allowing for oil exploration in large areas off America's coasts that were previously off-limits.
                              Realistically speaking, America's off-shore oil would do somewhere between "absolutely nothing" and "jack ****" to America's usage of middle-eastern Oil.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X