No announcement yet.

Electric Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roo? The lack of Toyota at the plant just gives Tesla more room to grow. It makes it more likely that the third car will be built there, not less.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Some of the local media here in California has been saying NUMMI got targeted for closure because it was a union factory while the factory in Mississippi was a non union factory. I can understand why they'd want cheaper non union workers but it still sucks if that was the reason they're moving production.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Today's New York Times Business Section has a rather unfavorable look at Tesla's founder. The short story is they think the guy is too optomistic and they're worried about his divorce getting messy as he dumped his wife of eight years (they had six kids but one died) for a 24 year old British model. It seems Mr. Musk has gone all in investing all of his money ($185 million) in Tesla and his other company SpaceX (which DanS started a thread about a while back; they're a private space craft manufacturer which actually makes money).

The NYT is worried because in 2011 Tesla will discontinue the old Roadster but won't start selling the new Model S until 2012 and a new Roadster replacement won't be out until 2013. That means in 2011 Tesla will not be selling any new cars though they do have a good side business selling electric batteries and electric engines to Mercedes Benz, Toyota, and BMW.

Comment

• What is up with you West Coast people and your love for alternatively-powered automobiles?
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• It's mostly just a desire to get off of oil and promote a new local manufacturing industry.

Comment

• That New York Times article is a hit piece. Musk has always been successful in what he has set out to do. None of the pre-IPO investors in his five companies have ever lost money, which is unheard of. The Tesla IPO was hugely successful. He has been successful in two industries (autos, space) that are extremely unforgiving to new entrants.

The only reality distortion field involved is how the New York Times could spin that success into a sense of imminent failure. As one example, contrary to what is stated in the article, Tesla will be selling Roadsters through 2012. However, it won't be manufacturing the Roadster during 2012 -- it will be ramping up production beforehand and storing them for sale. Another example is the article states that Tesla is well off its IPO high of $31 and then has plummeted to $21. What it doesn't say is the stock opened at $17, so it's still a hugely successful IPO in one of the ****tiest markets for IPOs in decades.

The undeniable fact is that Musk is gaining a lot of enemies because he has entered industries that are packed with entrenched interests that would rather bad-mouth than compete on product.
              Last edited by DanS; July 25, 2010, 09:08.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS View Post
                Tesla plans to sprinkle high-amp (70, IIRC) charging stations throughout the US. That would charge the batteries in about an hour. So you could go grab lunch while you charge, or whatever.

Obviously, that's well more amperage than you have access to at home.
                I could see these stations having cafes or delis or even a small, express bookstore where you can browse while you're car is charging. And of course, like gas stations, many of these charging stations could also be located near shopping strips or stores.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Tesla and Toyota have finalized a deal where Tesla will produce an all electric version of the popular Toyota RAV4 small SUV. The first Tesla built electric RAV4 will be on sale in 2012.

Comment

• Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Well unless the charge time falls significantly it wouldn't be practical for my uses.

And besides, the fuel still has to be burnt somewhere - at power stations. Fine if the energy is coming from more renewable sources or nuclear power...but the latter has it's own complications.

And MrFun, for the love of god, will you change that damn avatar, it is disgusting.
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• What? What's wrong with his avatar?
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

• It's just...well...ewww...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Think that's your issue not that of the image TBH.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
                              It's been quite awhile since I experienced carlust.

I WANT!!!
                              I've seen two of these on the road recently. A red one and a silver one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                                What is up with you West Coast people and your love for alternatively-powered automobiles?
                                Electric motors are just absurdly superior from an engineering standpoint.

Comment

Working...
                                X