No announcement yet.

Electric Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been quite awhile since I experienced carlust.

I WANT!!!
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

On quick read, they're estimating a range of over 200 miles per charge, a 3.5 hour charging cycle of home current, an equivalent of 227 mpg, and top speed of 125 mph. Hot poop on a stick, baby!

I'm really hoping to see one on Top Gear.
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Done

Extra 3 minutes+ Stig drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD71g3fv3Bg
        Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Thx.

Comment

I don't think pure electric will ever really work because of the long recharge times. Hybrid is about as good as it gets.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Range is far more of a concern than charge time. 3.5 hours charge time (ie, overnight) for 200 miles means any commuter is fine; but you can't take it on a road trip of more than a few hours, which is a problem.

A car with 400 miles range, on the other hand, would be fine for most road trips, and if you could add a replaceable battery for another, say, 200 miles would be fine for pretty much anything - 600 miles in a day is the most most people would really want to do anyway (8-10 hours' driving). Add in electricity stations where you can charge for, say, 30 minutes to an hour (say, over dinner) and get 200 miles worth out of it (remember, 3.5 hours -> 200 mi right now on home current; no reason that time can't go way down on higher current) and you have pretty much everything you need.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Tesla plans to sprinkle high-amp (70, IIRC) charging stations throughout the US. That would charge the batteries in about an hour. So you could go grab lunch while you charge, or whatever.

Obviously, that's well more amperage than you have access to at home.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Oh, since this a troll thread...

Spec in 3... 2... 1...
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

What about electric motorcycles?
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

I know very little about electronics. Wouldn't it be possible to increase the amperage available in your home by drawing from multiple outlets in parallel?

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                        I don't think pure electric will ever really work because of the long recharge times. Hybrid is about as good as it gets.
                        What if in the future gas stations turned into battery stations? Let's say your driving from California to New York. At about 300 miles your batteries are running low, so you pull into a battery station, remove your batteries and replace them with charged batteries, then speed on towards your destination, stopping every 300 miles to change out batteries. You belong to a service, you "rent" your batteries, paying some sort of base fee, then paying for energy every time you change out a depleted battery for a charged one.

This is my idea, I came up with it first.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Since you posted your idea on a privately owned internet forum, I believe it actually belongs to either DanQ or Google - probably Google.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I could easily make due with an electric car for commuting now on the ranges they have, what I don't have is 50K plus to aquire one. Price is really the only hurdle.

Oh, another hurdle is this completely idiotic tendancy to design hybrids/electic cars to look ugly as hell. Just make them look like conventional vehicles like Ford did with the Escape or Honda the Civic
                            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Oops. My bad. The 70 amp 240v charger is the 3.5 hour charger. I guess you would need much higher amperage even than that for the 1 hour charger.

Unfortunately, I don't know the electrical math here.

Comment

Originally posted by Patroklos View Post
                                I could easily make due with an electric car for commuting now on the ranges they have, what I don't have is 50K plus to aquire one. Price is really the only hurdle.

Oh, another hurdle is this completely idiotic tendancy to design hybrids/electic cars to look ugly as hell. Just make them look like conventional vehicles like Ford did with the Escape or Honda the Civic
                                QFT. The Ford Fusion also looks pretty sweet, although it's a Hybrid, not completely electric.

Comment

Working...
                                X