Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petition for Intellectual Honesty on Apolyton

AKA The Ben Rule.

It has become increasingly apparent that discussions on this site are being crippled by certain posters who have no respect for the viewpoints of others, nor provide any valuable input to the discussion or the site. These posters ignore what other people say, blatantly and persistently lie to support their point, never provide any references or citations for their outlandish claims, consistently misrepresent the positions of others (sometimes in offensive manners), and essentially lower the chance of having a meaningful discussion in anyway.

I fully understand that you do not wish to "ban stupidity" or be perceived as banning somebody for their stance on the issue, and I do realize this is not an academically rigorous educational institution, but something needs to be done to prevent this place from becoming a massive joke. Many other popular and successful sites place guidelines in terms of intellectual honesty on their site because they recognize the long-term value that can be realized from removing posters who contribute nothing to the discussion aside from stirring a pot with their outlandish comments. Apolyton itself has previously had an informal rule on this, and CivNation was dealt with in this respect.

I petition that Apolyton adopt an official stance on this, going forward. I'm not talking about a simple "this guy is lying, ban him!" type of nonsense -- but if it can be readily observed that a single poster is consistently lying and misrepresenting others while making outlandish claims with no suitable backing, that this poster be dealt with via a series of warnings and escalating bannings.

Anyone else with me on this?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

No valuable input? Outlandish claims? This could be anybody. It could even be me.

Comment

Your input is invaluable.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Oerdin is made of Cheese! - FACT!
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
          You have supported this claim by appending "- FACT!" to it, which informs us that this is indeed factual. Not all posters do this.

Comment

Really? They should know better... ban them!
            Monkey!!!

Comment

I thought Oerdin was made of rocks.

The moon is made of rocks.

The moon is made of cheese.

Ergo, Oerdin is made of cheese.

Okay, it all makes sense now.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

You're thinking of the Moon.

If I think someone is lying--or simply gotten things wrong--I either post some authority showing he's wrong or simply write "Link?"

If you pull someone's intellectual pants down around his ankles enough times, sooner or later, he'll start wearing underwear.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                  I thought Oerdin was made of rocks.

The moon is made of rocks.

The moon is made of cheese.

Ergo, Oerdin is made of cheese.

Okay, it all makes sense now.
                  We don't know this until we hold a referendum.

Comment

It has become increasingly apparent that discussions on this site are being crippled by certain posters who have no respect for the viewpoints of others, nor provide any valuable input to the discussion or the site. These posters ignore what other people say, blatantly and persistently lie to support their point, never provide any references or citations for their outlandish claims, consistently misrepresent the positions of others (sometimes in offensive manners), and essentially lower the chance of having a meaningful discussion in anyway.

Doesn't this describe 95% of the posters on Poly, to some extent?

Comment

I dont agree with Asher on games in general - so i must be wrong. FACT...or VIEWPOINT?

Comment

It's the extremes we should get rid of.

Comment

Ignore the stupid and don't rise to the bait. If fish stop taking the bait, fisherman either change baits or what pool they're fishing in. We can only hope.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by El_Cid View Post
                            I dont agree with Asher on games in general - so i must be wrong. FACT...or VIEWPOINT?
                            You're not wrong on your game tastes. You're wrong when you say things like the noise of a console has nothing to do with hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                              Ignore the stupid and don't rise to the bait. If fish stop taking the bait, fisherman either change baits or what pool they're fishing in. We can only hope.
                              Why was CivNation banned?

Comment

Working...
                              X