Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $550 Billion Dollar Bank Run!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xKPcyvlfnc

At 2 minutes, 20 seconds into this C-Span video clip, Rep. Paul Kanjorski of Pennsylvania explains how the Federal Reserve told Congress members about a "tremendous draw-down of money market accounts in the United States, to the tune of $550 billion dollars." According to Kanjorski, this electronic transfer occured over the period of an hour or two.

If this is true it would explain a few things.

I heard about this. Who pulled the trigger?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

the collapse of Lehman I heard, that started a run on money market accounts

Comment

Y'know, if you have the $ sign you don't need to say dollars too. It's repetitively redundant.

...just my neurosis talking. Carry on.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Perhaps he is talking about square dollars?
          http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xKPcyvlfnc

At 2 minutes, 20 seconds into this C-Span video clip, Rep. Paul Kanjorski of Pennsylvania explains how the Federal Reserve told Congress members about a "tremendous draw-down of money market accounts in the United States, to the tune of $550 billion dollars." According to Kanjorski, this electronic transfer occured over the period of an hour or two.

If this is true it would explain a few things.
            Can you condense all of your next-great-depression crap to one thread please?
            Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Thue View Post
              Perhaps he is talking about square dollars?
              Do vending machines accept those?

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                Can you condense all of your next-great-depression crap to one thread please?
                Why? So it can be buried under more crap?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I thought this was old news? Yes, the money market collapse was what freaked everybody out. The money markets are how corporate America funds its short-term money needs. If those markets cease to function, everybody is out of a job within a month or two.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

9/18 was the run on money market fund;

10/6 - 10/10 was a general run on European banks;

10/24 was a run on emerging Asian banks;

11/20 was the run on Citibank;

1/15 was the run on Bank of America.

We are witnessing history in the making. If we survive this round and some youngster whines about market going down 20% in distant future, we will be able to proudly claim that we made it through the Great Crash of 2008.

The only time I felt panic was on Sept 29, because if the Congress had refused to pass the TARP, confidence in banks would have been gone and a general run on ALL banks would have ensued.

Comment

Working...
                    X