The Dispossessed is a pretty good book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dispossessed is a pretty good book

It was an interesting read and it reading it I could hardly belive it was written in the 1970's it dosen't seem dated at all (which often happens even in soft SF). Its take on Anarchism and non-authoritarian communism are interesting. Its a belivable portrait of a society that might work that way.

Also its started a new commie phase in me again.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Yeah, I remember liking it. Haven't read it in over 7 years though.

Do I own it?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I liked the idea of everyone at birth being assigned a single, unique name.

Comment

All of LeGuin's books are good. The other classic is "The Left Hand of Darkness."
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post

Do I own it?

JM
          How are we supposed to know?
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post
            All of LeGuin's books are good. The other classic is "The Left Hand of Darkness."
            Red that one two, it was an interesting take on a society with no male-female dynamics but for some reason I liked this book better.

Comment

Working...
            X