Surgeons remove healthy kidney through donor's vagina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgeons remove healthy kidney through donor's vagina

In what is being heralded as a "first-ever procedure," surgeons removed a healthy kidney through a donor's vagina, the Johns Hopkins Medical Center has announced.

Jennifer Gilbert, center, received a kidney from Kimberly Johnson, at right in green.

Although the procedure has been previously done to extract cancerous and nonfunctioning kidneys that threatened a patient's health, the January 29 surgery was the first time it was done for donation purposes, the center said in a news release issued Monday.

"The kidney was successfully removed and transplanted into the donor's niece, and both patients are doing fine," Dr. Robert Montgomery, chief of transplant surgery at Johns Hopkins, said in the release.

The surgery is considered less invasive and could pave the way for an increase in organ donations, it added.

"Removing the kidney through a natural opening should hasten the patient's recovery and provide a better cosmetic result," Montgomery said.

He told CNN on Tuesday, "We want to make it easier for people to donate, to have less impact on their lives, [be] in hospital a shorter amount of time and get back to their lives quicker."

Don't Miss
    Extreme multiple births carry tremendous risks
    The woman was chosen to be the first donor to undergo the procedure because a previous hysterectomy enabled doctors to operate without a uterus obstructing their efforts, he added.

The three-hour procedure typically allows the donor to return home within 24 hours.

The more traditional surgery requires a 5- to 6-inch incision through the abdominal wall and generally is followed by two or three days of hospitalization.

"If you asked our patient, she said it was like getting a tooth removed. She was walking that night and left the next day," Montgomery said.

The procedure is done by inserting "wand-like cameras and tools" through small incisions in the abdomen and navel.

Doctors then insert a hollow tube through the vagina with a bag at the end.

Once the kidney is cut loose, surgeons use video from the cameras to guide them as they maneuver the bag around the organ, place it in the tube and pull it out through the vaginal opening, Montgomery said.

A kidney weighs approximately one pound and is roughly the size of a clenched hand.

In an effort to ensure a more sterile procedure, the vagina is treated with Betadine, a sterilizing solvent commonly applied during surgery.

But some physicians wonder how clean the procedure can actually be.

"It's good to take such [sterilization] measures," said Dr. Jihad Kaouk, director of laparoscopic and robotic surgery at the Cleveland Clinic. "But the tube touched the vagina. And the bag touched the tube. And the bag touched the kidney"

He added, "delivering a kidney from the vagina, which is not sterile -- is it a potential risk or a real risk? We'll find out now."

Kaouk also expressed concern over the quality of the kidney once it has been squeezed into a tube.

"The concept of minimizing incisions and decreasing pain after surgery is always a good idea, but we should always check at what price," he said
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Vaginal Fistula

Now, I have heard where (serious here folks) a condition exists that a female actually produces dung through her vagina..

About vaginal fistulas

Enlarge
    A vaginal fistula is an abnormal passage that connects the vagina to other organs, such as the bladder or rectum, resulting in leakage of urine or feces into the vagina. A vaginal fistula could also be described as a hole in the vagina that allows stool or urine to pass through the vagina.

Fistulas may result as a complication of pelvic surgery — more than 50 percent occur after hysterectomies. They may also develop after injury to the pelvic area, infection, inflammation or radiation treatment.

Vaginal fistulas are classified into four types; treatment varies for each:

Vesicovaginal fistulas, also called bladder fistulas, occur between the vagina and urinary bladder. This is the most common type of vaginal fistula.
    Uterovaginal fistulas occur between the vagina and distal ureter (ureters are ducts that carry urine from the kidney to the bladder)
    Urethrovaginal fistulas, also called urethral fistulas, occur between the vagina and urethra (tube that carries urine out of the body)
    Rectovaginal fistulas, also called rectal fistulas, occur between the vagina and the rectum
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Did someone say vagina fisting?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Calling Dr. McFecal....

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

What I saw:
          Surgeons remove healthy kidney through doctor's vagina
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            Did someone say vagina fisting?

IMMY!!!!!! Ever still the little boy

As one who has squeezed out the watermelon through a hole the size of a pea may I just say.....you will not be shoving it back in!!
            Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
            Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
            Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
            You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

Working...
            X