No announcement yet.

India to make $10 laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, they were right up until the point when we invented an entirely different type of computer.

Comment

so they start with $20-30, aiming for $10

TIRUPATI: The Ministry of Human Resource Development unveiled here on Tuesday what has been tagged as an “ultra low-cost” computing-***-access device that can “make wonders” in the dissemination of education to the remotest corners of India.

With talk of the “introduction” of a laptop costing Rs.500 making the rounds, the prototype of the device was introduced to the delegates as well as Union HRD Minister Arjun Singh, Minister of State D. Purandareshwari and Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Rajasekhara Reddy during the formal launch of the National Mission on Education through Information and Computer Technology on the Sri Venkateswara University campus.

The 10” long and 5” wide hand-held device, resembling a palmtop or a modem, helps e-learners access the Web easily. Priced versions of e-content available on the Net can be accessed through this device.

The cost of the device shot up to between $20 and $30 against the initial plan to peg it at $10, forcing the department to resort to a cost-cutting exercise. R.P. Agarwal, Secretary, Ministry of Higher Education, who displayed the prototype to the delegates, expressed confidence that the cost would be brought down further.

In an elaborate presentation, N.K. Sinha, Joint Secretary, Ministry of HRD, explained that the prototype bore testimony to India’s technological capability, with some of the components developed by engineering students themselves.

He said the aim was to make the device cost something close to that a student would have to spend on textbooks for a year. “If bandwidth charges fall further, the device can work wonders,” he said.

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

ah, and it's actually not a laptop

TIRUPATI: The much-touted laptop for the masses said to have been built by students of Vellore Institute of Technology that would cost a mere Rs500 actually turned out to be only a computing device.

Making this clear at the inauguration of the national Mission on Education Programme organized by the Union HRD Ministry here on Tuesday, joint secretary N K Sinha said the computing device is 10 inches long and 5 inches wide and has been priced at around $30 at the event. However, he refused to comment as to why was it being projected as a laptop when it was not.

The so-called laptop actually turned out to be a storage device containing megabytes of data info which can be accessed by a user by connecting this device to a laptop. It meant that unlike the internet, this device can display that information that has already been stored.

Some delegates at the exhibition claimed that with the help of this device a laptop caosting about $60 can eventually be manufactured. But for now at least the $10-laptop turned out to be damp squib.

Laptop said to have been built by students of Vellore Institute of Technology that would cost a mere Rs 500 actually turned out to be only a computing
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Ooh, a weak $10 thumb drive, that's much more impressive!
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

"an “ultra low-cost” computing-***-access device"

What on Earth was censored there?

Oh, got it just as I posted this.... Something like Magna-***-Laude?
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

So thing that was obviously too good to be true, is not true.

I am shocked! I did not see that one coming.
              http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Rats, now I can't make a dumb joke about who they'd call for technical support.
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                X