Decaffeinated Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decaffeinated Coffee

So, does anyone know just how much caffeine there is in decaf coffee?

We brew up some every afternoon, and it seems to have some kick.
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Why bother?

Drink real coffee dammit.
    Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Coffee fries my brain so I occasionally drink Decaf. I have also discovered that Decaf has some kick to it though... generally it is low enough that I am still functional though.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
        Why bother?

Drink real coffee dammit.
        Well, my cardiologist has me limiting my caffeine.
        So I have my mug in the morning (I stretched 2 cups into one mug ).
        I take great heed at Sloww's warning.
        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I think it is like 0-5 mg or something.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I think it matters very much which process is used to decaffeinate the coffee.

For example, the Swiss Water process (above) removes a lot more caffeine than methylene chloride or ethyl acetate, if I remember properly my cafe training.

According to the Wiki page, you still get around 10mg of caffeine (about 10% of regular coffee's 100mg) in the average cup of decaf, but it varies wildly based on where you get it. I suspect a lot of the cafe-bought coffees (Starbucks, Dunkin's) have caffeine because they use one machine to process both regular and decaf coffee beans - hence, some caffeine is in the oils left from grinding the earlier beans. I don't know if that's enough to explain all of the caffeine, but certainly some of it. You're probably better off doing it at home (where contamination is not a risk, and you have more heavily regulated retail packagers providing you the bans).

If you want true decaf, get tea. Plenty of teas are naturally decaffeinated. Or caffeine-free soda.
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
              Coffee fries my brain so I occasionally drink Decaf.
              What do you mean by this? Caffeine isn't the least bit neurotoxic. Do you just mean you get too wired or anxious to focus on something?
              Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                What do you mean by this? Caffeine isn't the least bit neurotoxic. Do you just mean you get too wired or anxious to focus on something?
                Yeah

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I basically run on coffee. Less than 3 cups a day is very rare for me.

Decaf is for the weak.

Snoop is right btw: The weak should look for Swiss Water Process beans.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                  X