need dvd video help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need dvd video help

ok so I need some help but I must say first WOW!!!! A girl goes away for a while and you change everything! Maybe I won't stay away so long now that I have some time.

So we have a new dvd player that's been working fine up unitl a few days ago when we noticed a loud feedback during the movie. Jacked with the cords switched out then back. I got hubby one of those game/video chairs that you can route the tv/dvd through, unhooked that and checked the tv to see if the chair was the trouble but the feedback still goes through the regular tv speakers. Any ideas. This just started a day or two ago.
    Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
    Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
    You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

What sort of cables? "RCA" or Composite (red/yellow/white wires for video/audio), Component (six wires, various different colors), optical (skinny round cable, you can see a red light in it if you look carefully, the port probably has a cover over it that's square), or HDMI (flat, sort of like USB but wider and thinner, connects video and audio)?

Consider the position of the TV relative to the DVD player - the magnetics can cause interference in the cables, if they are analog (Composite), or even in the speaker directly. That's a common one (was for me last time I set up a system with analog cables). Also could be the connector(s) themselves - try a different cable if you have one.
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

if its a HDMI cable, your TV should have come with a magnetic clip you place on the plug near the prongs...

Comment

Kiwi ingenuity to the rescue.

What you will need:
        Tinfoil
        Copper wire
        Cat
        Coat hanger
        Brick

Instructions:
        Wrap the cat up in the tinfoil, tie one end of the copper wire to the cat; place the cat on top of the DVD player. Tie the other end of the copper wire to a metal door knob.
        Place the Brick near the door knob and stand on it with one leg, hold on to the door knob, while at the same time holding the coat hanger in the air with the other hand.
        be free

Comment

There can be magnetic interference from poorly shielded cables but your problem doesnt sound like that to me. If it was working fine previously then this problem started, my guess is that either the DVD player or your sound system (amplifier) is fritzed.
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

That sucks! We just bought the dvd player about three weeks ago brand new. It's like a loud buzz or hum. Yes we have the yellow red and white cables using those. Our tv and dvd are right next to each other maybe we should move the location of the dvd player. It's really annoying to try to watch a flippin' movie and get this buzz in your ear.
            Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
            Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
            Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
            You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

So, to be clear, did it make the sound from the start or is it something new?

It seems like you're using red and white audio cable (for left and right channels) and a yellow AV cable. The AV cable shouldnt have an effect on sound but you should be using something better if you want better picture (at the very least an S-video cable).

Do you have a sound system of some type between the DVD and the TV? I ask cos you said you had some external speakers. If so, hook the DVD directly to the TV and see if the hum is there. If the sound goes away then it may be the amp or connections to the amp.

Before I took it back I'd check the speaker and audio connectors to make sure that you dont have something crossed (which will make a loud hum).

A lot of this is quesswork without knowing exactly how you have your system set up.
              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

It can be so many things.

Is it a hum or a buzz? A hum is likely a simple grounding problem. A buzz could be lots of things.

I assume this noise doesn't happen under any other conditions...
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                X