• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fact: USA = frogeaters

A billion frogs on world's plates

How amphibians are harvested around the world

In pictures

Up to one billion frogs are taken from the wild for human consumption each year, according to a new study.

Researchers arrived at this conclusion by analysing UN trade data, although they acknowledge there is a lot of uncertainty in the figure.

France and the US are the two biggest importers, with significant consumption in several East Asian nations.

About one-third of all amphibians are listed as threatened species, with habitat loss the biggest factor.

But hunting is acknowledged as another important driver for some species, along with climate change, pollution and disease - notably the fungal condition chytridiomycosis which has brought rapid extinctions to some amphibians.

Absence of essential data to monitor and manage the wild harvest is a large concern
    Professor Corey Bradshaw

The new research, to be published in a forthcoming edition of the journal Conservation Biology, suggests that the global trade in wild frogs has been underestimated in the past.

"Frogs legs are on the menu at school cafeterias in Europe, market stalls and dinner tables across Asia to high end restaurants throughout the world," said Corey Bradshaw from Adelaide University in Australia.

"Amphibians are already the most threatened animal group yet assessed because of disease, habitat loss and climate change - man's massive appetite for their legs is not helping."

Amphibians are farmed for food in some countries but these animals are not included in the new analysis.

Exporting extinction

Indonesia emerged from Professor Bradshaw's analysis as both the largest exporter of frogs - 5,000 tonnes per year - and a major consumer.
    Frogs
    Frogs are liquidised to make a "health drink" in parts of South America

This has raised concerns that it may soon experience the declines induced by hunting that have been seen elsewhere in the world, notably in France and the US, where species such as the Californian red-legged frog have crashed.

The researchers suggest that the amphibian trade may mimic the situation with global fisheries.

"Harvesting seems to be following the same pattern for frogs as with marine fisheries - initial local collapses in Europe and North America, followed by population declines in India and Bangladesh and now potentially in Indonesia," said Professor Bradshaw.

"Absence of essential data to monitor and manage the wild harvest is a large concern."

The researchers suggest establishing a certification scheme so exporters would have to prove that their animals had been hunted sustainably.

However, a large portion of the trade in amphibians for the pet trade is conducted illegally, and experts say customs officials in many countries are ill-equipped to spot and deal with illegal consignments.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Bolding by me, of course. Anyone who wants to explain this?
    Blah

Frog legs taste good.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

"Frog gigging" is a Southern tradition, or so I understand.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Liquidised frogs? That is simply outrageous. Poor frogs. Frogs are to be gazed upon, marvelled upon, drawn. Not eaten and definitely not drank.
        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
        Middle East!

Comment

FROG SMILEY!
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Liquified frog smiley!
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I've never seen frog legs on a menu here in the States. Maybe I don't get out enough.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Evidently not. When I was in Washington (arrived during the plane down in the Potomac) to do some work at Andrews, staying in Camp Springs, there were frog legs on the menu.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yeah, well at least we're not people eaters.

Comment

Mmmm... frog legs.

I had some really tasty ones in Jacksonville when I was there last year.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I remember having a frog leg in a Chinese Buffet in Maryland, it was breaded with a bit of salt and pepper and fried. It was actually rather bland but that might have been more to do with the blandness of the Buffet in general then the frog.
                      Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators, the creator seeks - those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest. - Thus spoke Zarathustra, Fredrick Nietzsche

Comment

Do you call them Freedom Legs in the US?
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

No just frog legs. They taste like chicken.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Frogs eat frogs and then croak. Good 'Mericans eat amphibians and listen to frogs croak. (Or so I was told.)
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Best frog legs I ever had was Thailand though they'd chop up the whole frog after gutting it. Still the legs are the good stuff. Come to think of it Cajun turtle soup is pretty damn good too; it makes a nice red meat stew. Just make sure you purge the turtles for a day or two in clean water maybe feed them some hotdogs (if snapping turtles) to help get the nasty crap out of their guts.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X