No announcement yet.

Senator Ted Kennedy collapses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard a report on MSNBC that a Byrd aide denied anything happened to him. He was just upset at seeing Kennedy in convulsions.
    And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
      Political dynasties
      As far as real accomplishments go, he's the only member of the dynasty who's worth a damn. He was fairly key on a lot of the major legislation over the past few decades regarding minimum wage, immigration, civil rights, health care, and education. I doubt if there's anyone currently in Congress who's more accomplished. He might not be a particularly good person, but he's a great Senator.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

So who will be the next "Lion of the Senate"?
        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Beside his cheating in college and cheating on his wife, some of his other charater flaws came out in his carreer as a senator.

Fifteen years later during the Clinton administration filibusters were presumably also abhorrent to Senator Kennedy, who then wanted to outlaw them entirely. On Jan. 28, 1998, he argued: " The president and the Senate do not always agree [on judicial nominations]. But we should resolve these disagreements by voting "yes" or "no." Three years later Kennedy put politics above principle and became a champion of the filibuster. He also threatened to boycott any work of the Senate that was not essential for national security if a Republican majority was trying to outlaw filibusters by amending the Senate rules.
          always full of principles.

On Jan. 17, NewsMax reported a story that most of the liberal media ignored: Kennedy had admitted his own membership in the Owl Club, which does not allow women, and was banned from the Harvard campus. He had paid dues to the all-male club ever since his student days.

Faced with evidence of his hypocrisy, Kennedy said, "I am going to get out of it as fast as I can."

Always has an answer when he gets caught. If he's the only member who's worth a damn, the standard has been set pretty damn low.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Supr49er View Post
            So who will be the next "Lion of the Senate"?
            Palin, the next time an Alaskan Senatorial campaign comes around
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
              Beside his cheating in college and cheating on his wife, some of his other charater flaws came out in his carreer as a senator.

On Jan. 17, NewsMax reported a story that most of the liberal media ignored: Kennedy had admitted his own membership in the Owl Club, which does not allow women, and was banned from the Harvard campus. He had paid dues to the all-male club ever since his student days.

Faced with evidence of his hypocrisy, Kennedy said, "I am going to get out of it as fast as I can."

Always has an answer when he gets caught. If he's the only member who's worth a damn, the standard has been set pretty damn low.
              Thanks rah for pointing out what many here do not know, and that is Teddie is a member of a family who has, in most cases, presented themselves a family set above the rules of our society due to privelege and circumstance.

My whole posting of the thread was more I wouldnt wish anyone to suffer and after having posted this yesterday, was drifting back in time about him when you posted the VW pic and I was on the Mary Jo thought, seems just yesterday sir.
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Wouldn't that be "cougar"? (Edit: RE Palin)
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

GILF
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                    Originally posted by Supr49er
                    So who will be the next "Laying of the Senate"?
                    Palin, the next time an Alaskan Senatorial campaign comes around
                    FIXED!

Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I don't know why you chose that example. Basically everyone flip-flopped on getting rid of filibusters. Republicans opposed the move when that would hurt them, and then supported it when that would help them. The only reason why it didn't happen is that the Dems agreed to cave on some odious nominations.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

It was just one example of the many I used. My arguement is not lessened without it.
                        Actually cheating on your wife when she's pregnant, with a girl that dies in your car that you didn't try to help, which is the probable cause for your wife to miscarraige and becoming an alcholic is probably enough to stand on it's own, but the additional color never hurts the arguement. So feel free to not include that one in his list of shame. I'm sure it wouldn't take me long to document others to replace it, but I think we have enough. Unless you're going to say that paying someone to take exams for you in college was an everyday thing too.

But please feel free to think that most of the people that hate him, do so purely based on his political stands.

One word.

SCUM
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post

Wait, I don't understand what the problem would be with belonging to a glorified fraternity. Huh?

Comment

No, that was the only example that had the least bit of relevance to mine. I assume that you were responding to me, given the language you used in your post. Once more, I explicitly said that he's a great Senator, not person.

And feel free to put words into my mouth.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Actually my last post was another shot at an earlier post.

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                              However, the people who really hate him are conservative radio talkshow hosts (or at least their radio personas do). It's become sort of a litmus test for outing the zombies who listen to those shows based on their feelings about Ted Kennedy.
                              And for KUCI.
                              Kennedy's effort to impugn Judge Alito's integrity was reminiscent of Republican Senator Joe McCarthy, who tarred his victims with the brush of guilt by association. Kennedy's charge against Alito was based on the fact that 34 years ago, while a reserve officer in the Army, he joined a Princeton alumni group that opposed the banning of ROTC programs from the university's campus. Some members of the group (other than Alito) wanted Princeton to continue its traditional policy of denying admission to women.
                              So while he was trying to inpugn ALito for belonging to an organization that denied admission to women while belonging to a club that denied admission to women is KINDA HYPICRITICAL.

Always highly principled.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So while he was trying to inpugn ALito for belonging to an organization that denied admission to women while belonging to a club that denied admission to women is KINDA HYPICRITICAL.
                                Uh, no? There's a huge difference between a major university denying admission to women, and a men's club denying admission to women. Sex is inherently relevant to one but not the other.

Comment

Working...
                                X