Bush's Legacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush's Legacy

Well he is with us in this presidential form for another week so it's time to reassess him.

Has he anything with which to defend himself?
    Certainly. First and most important, he would argue, he protected the US after September 11, 2001. No small feat, that.
    Mr Bush and his much vilified Vice-President Dick Cheney insist that this is the flip-side of some of the most controversial measures of his presidency: the detention programmes; interrogation techniques and restrictions on civil liberties at home.

Second, though much derided, Mr Bush’s promotion of democracy in the Middle East has borne some fruit. After a disastrous three years, the Iraq war is largely won and that benighted nation seems tentatively set on a course of pluralist democracy, just as Mr Bush said it would, and the very idea his opponents scoffed at.

It was a big, bold and perhaps crazy exercise, but history may judge that the US-led effort from Kabul to Baghdad in the early years of the 21st century laid the foundations for the kind of progress in a region that has not seen much of it in the last 500 years.

There were smaller achievements too: Mr Bush’s very personal effort to lead vast programmes for the eradication of AIDS in Africa; much improved relations with China and India, the two emerging powers of the next century; a steadfast commitment to keep trade flowing, in spite of hostility at home and around the world.

So here we have it from the liberal media
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

He's a moron.

Comment

no, a moran. get a brain.
      Unbelievable!

Comment

if for nothing else I will remember him for this

it's the best photo-op ever
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

nice suit. stylin and profilin

Comment

Bush's relative youth and good health have worked against him in this regard. Dying in office is probably the only way he could have salvaged something of a positively-remembered legacy.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Anyone can look funny in a still photo.

Of course, people can look/sound funny on film,too.

President Bush -- Fool Me Once

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yes, it seems that if Iraq turns into a pluralist democracy, as it seems it is on the verge of doing, Bush may be remembered as in the bottom 3rd of Presidents instead of competing with Buchanan for who's the worst of all time.

His funding for AIDS prevention in Africa is also laudable. And, personally, I really do like his views on free trade and his attempts to push for CAFTA and other arangements.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by slowwhand View Post
                  anyone can look funny in a still photo.

President bush -- fool me once
                  JESUS CHRIST THE BUSH HATERS NEED TO SHUTUP. In caps!
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    Anyone can look funny in a still photo.

President Bush -- Fool Me Once

never fails to make me laugh ...

this one is the best

"There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again."

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                      Yes, it seems that if Iraq turns into a pluralist democracy, as it seems it is on the verge of doing, Bush may be remembered as in the bottom 3rd of Presidents instead of competing with Buchanan for who's the worst of all time.

His funding for AIDS prevention in Africa is also laudable. And, personally, I really do like his views on free trade and his attempts to push for CAFTA and other arangements.

AIDS

even most importantly trade, and India + China openess

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                        Not when it was so often combined with abstinence teaching provisions.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Is openness with China/India a joke? So Bush has helped buttress our enormous trade deficit with China and that's supposed to be a good thing? The flow of wealth out of America and the massive amounts of personal debt Americans have is disgusting. This is nothing to be proud of unless you are a degenerate sybarite and materialist who can't get enough tainted baby milk and lead painted toys.

If democracy in the middle east means spending hundreds of billions of dollars to wage a fruitless war so theocratic Islamic governments can be elected doesn't sound like a great deal. The future of Iraq has yet to be determined. If it becomes a peaceful democratic pro-American state that develops energy industry, then yes mission accomplished. I don't see that yet and the prospects look worse with an American withdrawal.

Don't care about the AIDS epidemic in Africa.

To me this just reaffirms that Bush truly has no concept of realpolitik nor does not seem give a shi*t about America's long term stability. We are off to a bad start this century.
                          Last edited by Riesstiu IV; January 15, 2009, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                            Not when it was so often combined with abstinence teaching provisions.
                            It'd be better not to send the money in the first place?
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Possibly. Abstinence based programs are pretty spectacularly unsuccessful. Either spend it on proper sex education and contraception teaching and provision or don't bother.
                              Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                              Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X