Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Does It Mean To 'Study Under' Someone in College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does It Mean To 'Study Under' Someone in College?

Does this mean you wrote a thesis with them advising, or does it mean you took one class with them? Is it a subtle sexual reference innuendo I never got, or neither?

Please elaborate. I am looking at a job application from someone claiming to have studied under Barack Obama and the background check on him is taking too long so I figured I could just save time and ask here. If he is lying on this application I will have him in jail and his family repossessed, so please be thorough with any response.

Also, while I am at it, I need to determine if it is socially exceptable to date African Americans if you are white, or is it like smoking, in the sense that it happens but is frowned upon. I just need to know what the general attitude is towards this for my edification lest I make a comment I will regret while in the company of my current, rather stupid, girlfriend. Proper edikate and all.

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
    Also, while I am at it, I need to determine if it is socially exceptable to date African Americans if you are white, or is it like smoking, in the sense that it happens but is frowned upon.
    Exceptable, yes. Acceptable, no.
    Unbelievable!

Comment

What is the difference? They are phonetically the same. Enough of this jackery..

Comment

Does this mean you wrote a thesis with them advising, or does it mean you took one class with them? Is it a subtle sexual reference innuendo I never got, or neither?

Please elaborate. I am looking at a job application from someone claiming to have studied under Barack Obama and the background check on him is taking too long so I figured I could just save time and ask here. If he is lying on this application I will have him in jail and his family repossessed, so please be thorough with any response.
        Where are you working to have that kind of power anyway? Shift manager at Denny's?
        Unbelievable!

Comment

Don't insult my ass, I have the power of 10,000 shift managers at Denny's and like 20,000 at Wendy's.

Comment

What kind of conservative are you? You're supposed to throw away resumes like that.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Why throw it away when I can have him jailed and own his family. The simple fact is that he knows and we all know that if this is a lie he is ruined. I just need to know what it means before I can call it a lie.

Comment

While you waste your time on this minor liberal, thousands of others are slipping into the government as we speak.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

It means O'Bummah did him up the poop chute.

SP
                  I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Also, while I am at it, I need to determine if it is socially exceptable to date African Americans if you are white, or is it like smoking, in the sense that it happens but is frowned upon.
                    Yeah, it's okay to date them, but you have to do it in a designated dating area; it can't be in a hospital or a college campus or anything like that.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I would suggest that 'study under' means more than just took a class; either thesis advisor, or at least several classes (I might say I 'studied under' John Mearsheimer, I suppose, as I took several classes with him, and had I written a thesis probably would have wanted him as an advisor; but I think that would be borderline stretching it for me.) I suspect this person is ... stretching things ... a bit here to say he studied under Obama, who wasn't really ever high enough on the academic totem pole to have people study under him, from what I remember.

Maybe this guy had the bottom bunk in college and literally studied underneath him?
                      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

He's lying. Bust him.
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Thanks snoopy. I am going to have to law down the law on this applicant, making him which he has never been born. I am going to have to make this as embarrassing as possible. I will likely tell him I have good news and wait for him to become excited and euphoric, but then solemnly tell him that the news is in fact that I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico, whereas the bad news is that he does not get the job and his family has been jailed indefinitely.

Comment

It would be a lot more fun to get this unfortunate to dig himself an even deeper hole before busting him .

Comment

Obama served for twelve years as a professor at the University of Chicago Law School, teaching constitutional law. He was first classified as a Lecturer from 1992 to 1996, and then as a Senior Lecturer from 1996 to 2004. He also joined Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Galland, a twelve-attorney law firm specializing in civil rights litigation and neighborhood economic development, where he was an associate for three years from 1993 to 1996, then of counsel from 1996 to 2004, with his law license becoming inactive in 2002.
                              From the occasionally-reliable Wikipedia, this suggests that the applicant may well have studied a course on which Obama lectured, so I'd be more interested in probing him to find out what he learned from Obama personally, or whether he's just using the fact that he had a few lectures with a major public figure to make his CV look better.
                              I'd suspect this to be the case, and so is utterly irrelevant to his application, but a wonderful chance for you to pick him apart from being more style than substance.

Comment

Working...
                              X