Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modeling

No, not that kind of modeling.

I've never gotten into it, but I past by a store full of models from WWI and WWII, a lot of Japanese ships. I like a good challenge and this is something new to me. Tonight I'm going to go down and pick one up, they're relatively cheap, but I suppose the paints and brushes are not.

Has anyone or is anyone doing this kind of thing? I am not sure what I should be aware of or what kind of tools I need. I'm not even sure what kind of model I want to try first yet. I do know I want something that I will spend a lot of time with. I did see a cool Viking Warship, which looked pretty complicated..
    be free

I used to build models as a child, late 1960's and early 1970's

I remember, newspapers for working on

A razor knife to cut model pieces from the shipping structures

Vaious paints

A pin to push back into the glue tube

Ruber bands and ether popsicle sticks or tongue depressors to hold still glued sectons

Paint thinner to use if glue spills over

These are a few that come to memory

I loved airplanes, bombers and fighters

My dad did msive ships from WWII

Mom did such ships as the Cutty Sark and a few other tall ships..I forget, it was moored in Boston Harbor, but memory fails the name

I remember Dad and me doing some scenes from WW2, maybe from Revelle, like Anzio and Fances of battles

I am not sure what is even available now
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I did airplanes.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I did an M48 Patton tank with my son.
        Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I past by a store full of models from WWI and WWII

But the models inbetween weren't too bad either,
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
            Me too!!!!!!!!!!!

Add a Halftrak, some anti aircraft and field artillery pieces
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I did a really detailed model of a B-17, a plane my dad flew in WW II. I actually did it twice. My dad got it for me and when he saw my pitiful results he bought a second and "helped" me with it. Building it was kind of like taking advanced calculus in grade school, and I was actually proud of mine even with a few broken widgets and glue spots.

Modern scalar models, especially of ships, are truly wonderful to look at, so enjoy your shot.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I built model cars, heavily customized. This was in the 1960s -- T-bird, 'Vette, GTO, Shelby Mustang...

Did a few planes as well.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I did an F22 with my brother. They're fun, to an extent.
                  B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
                    Then taking it out to the dry river bed and blasting it with a .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Then taking it out to the dry river bed and blasting it with a .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle.
                      We used to use firecrackers to blow up old models. Good times.

Making stuff

Blowing stuff up.
                      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

I think its sad that regular toy stores no longer really carry models. Twenty years ago, they all did, but now you have to go to a specialty store to find any.

Also, yeah, the paints are probably the single most expensive part of it. The cement or glue isn;t that expensive.

As for myself, I built ships and planes.

I did models of the USS Arizona, USS Missiouri, and KSM Bismark.

Also, of a Me262, an F18, and a B17.
                        If you don't like reality, change it! me
                        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Oh, man, the good old days... When I was a kid, I was really into scale modeling. Mainly tanks and jets. Here's what a grownup can do with a Panther scale model. Its all about the paint job. I remember using a hot pin to create bullet holes and other imperfections. They have how-to's on the website.

Attached Files
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I used to try to do models when I was a kid. I'd read books about the best techniques, how to make them realistic, best paint schemes, etc. Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who cant make a model to save their lives. I lose parts, get glue everywhere, and make a mess of things.

I'm in awe of my 13 year old daughter. She makes stuff from scratch.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                            X