Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You ever wonder if priests believe in god?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You ever wonder if priests believe in god?

Just a random thought yesterday. I'm certain there are quite a few who don't truelly believe. I think they see it as a job. something they are good at, so it's a job just like any other job.

I was watching this thing last night on tv about Jesus, and I was wondering this. I really believe in the teachings of Jesus christ (except the god part), but I don't believe in god. Could I still be a religious person? I was thinking of becoming religious again.

It's sad that the message of his teachings are lost. It would be nice if people could be more decent to each other.

anyways those are just some random thoughts. This has been a life changing year for me where I discovered what I truelly was. But perhaps the awakening has not fully completed. I am no longer what I once was. If I was young again, I'd be shocked at what I've become. But I don't care.

You believe in Jesus Christ, except for the God part.
    You have some to go.

I'm not around priests, but I don't think, that they think, that it's just a job that they're good at doing. If they thought that way, they wouldn't be as good at the job as they believed.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

No to put words in anyone's mouth, but...

he believes in the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I'm sure there are many, many priests and pastors out there who have had a loss of faith\\. I'd guess that at over 50% have doubts at some point in their life, I think there's even some sort of cliche about this happening during seminary. Most probably get over it and end up with stronger faith, but I'm sure there are some that conclude that they don't believe, but just labor on because they care about their congregation.
      The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

I would bet well over 50% have doubts at some point in their life. That doesn't mean doubts in the beleif in God, that means doubts in the beleifs of their religion.

There are a lot of people who aren't Christian, or who aren't 'good' Christians, who beleive in God.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

This year a reverend wrote a book titled: "Believing in a God that doesn't exist". I got the book from my dad, but haven't gotten around to read it. I ussume the rev. jumps through quite some theological hoops to get to his belieif in a non-existant deity, so I rather stick to my agnostisism.
          "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
          "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

If more than 50% have doubts then that's a good thing. That means they have consciously made their choice. If they have never contemplated about a world without God they've probably been brainwashed since childhood. Every sane person, religious or not, contemplates these matters at least once in their life, no?
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
              This year a reverend wrote a book titled: "Believing in a God that doesn't exist". I got the book from my dad, but haven't gotten around to read it. I ussume the rev. jumps through quite some theological hoops to get to his belieif in a non-existant deity, so I rather stick to my agnostisism.
              If you claim he jumps through hoops to get to his belief in a non-existant deity, doesn't that mean you're atheist instead of agnostic. Unless you mean potentially-existant deity
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
                If more than 50% have doubts then that's a good thing. That means they have consciously made their choice. If they have never contemplated about a world without God they've probably been brainwashed since childhood. Every sane person, religious or not, contemplates these matters at least once in their life, no?
                Yes. Indecision is a human trait. You'll probably never find documented scientific proof; but there's this thing called faith...
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs

If you claim he jumps through hoops to get to his belief in a non-existant deity, doesn't that mean you're atheist instead of agnostic. Unless you mean potentially-existant deity
                  From the presumed jumps by the rev. you offcourse cannot draw any logical conclusions on my beleifs. They bear no relevance at all, child.
                  "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                  "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Pray about it.
                    Long time member @ Apolyton
                    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by germanos

From the presumed jumps by the rev. you offcourse cannot draw any logical conclusions on my beleifs. They bear no relevance at all, child.
                      Oh god, chill out man

You spoke about a non-existant deity, therefore atheist

Comment

There was a priest in the Danish State Chuch who said something to the effect of "I don't believe in the god from the Bible, no modern person does, the bible is obviously just a bunch of moral stories which are not literally true". He was to told by church leaders to recant or be fired...
                        http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Dis, what You truly was?
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                          X