That Bad Eartha... Kitt Packs Her Bag And Says Goodbye To The Cabaret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Bad Eartha... Kitt Packs Her Bag And Says Goodbye To The Cabaret

Eartha Kitt, singer, actor, dancer, entertainer and activist has died of colon cancer.

Famous for her cat-like purr, and her her portrayal of Catwoman in the American television series of 'Batman', Kitt was born into a poor family in America's Deep South when segregation was still a fact of life.

Her mixed race ancestry meant that being 'high yeller' (as she described it) caused her never to be fully accepted by either the black or white communities in the United States, but she performed to great acclaim in Europe and elsewhere.

Orson Welles famously found her hugely attractive and wicked (she played Helen Of Troy in a production of Marlowe's 'Dr. Faustus' directed by him) and she continued to entertain audiences until a relatively short time before her death.

Listen to 'Santa Baby' or 'C'est Si Bon' and raise a glass to a great all-rounder.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Yes, Orson Welles called her the sexiest woman in the world, and I think many others were in agreement.

She was once a frequent visitor to Denmark, immensely popular here.

R.I.P.

Comment

I was lucky enough to see her perform at the Shaftesbury Theatre in London.

I met one of her backing dancers long after and he said that one of Ms. Kitt's little tricks was performing on stage sans underwear- and given that she did shoulder-high kicks with her dancers, this was a little more than Julian wanted to be seeing of her...

She was tremendous though- all the songs I expected and wanted to hear, and more.

One of the few women who could turn me straight- for an hour or so, anyway.
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: That Bad Eartha... Kitt Packs Her Bag And Says Goodbye To The Cabaret

Originally posted by molly bloom

Listen to 'Santa Baby' or 'C'est Si Bon' and raise a glass to a great all-rounder.
        She also wrote, "All By Myself." Great song

The first time I saw her, she was on "I Spy" playing the self-destructive bad-girl love interest for Bill 'Alexander Scott' Cosby. Fantastic performance.

Comment

Working...
        X