So what's going on in Belgium??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's going on in Belgium??

I heard the PM got caught trying to pressure the Supreme Court, and the Parliment has voted his ouster.

But until the electorial disputes in the nation between Flanders and the Waloons get fixed, the government isn't permitted to hold another election. So, the King can't accept the PM's resignation.

Is that about right??

The king accepted Leterme's resignation and a former PM from the stone age is exploring the options for a new gov't.

In essence, we finally had a crisis that wasn't about communitarian squabbling.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

So will there be a tidal wave of people pressure on the streets, that will bring about a peoples revolution, seeing the parliament house burnt and the King beheaded or nailed to a tree?

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

The Christian-democrats want to form a government that will stay on until 2011, when the next federal elections are supposed to be held. They want it because it would mean the least electoral damage to them. Most of the other parties want to hold federal elections together with the local and European elections in june.

Like you said it has been decided by court that a small but symbolically important dispute between the two be resolved before new federal elections are held. I read in the paper today that there are workarounds, so in dire need they'll find a solution to hold the elections anyway.

I always knew prime minister Leterme wasn't up to the job. Judging from the past 1,5 years, he sure hasn't let me down. He didn't have a single success, except for the banking crisis which he handled disastrously in my opinion. It's ironic that the only issue he tackled quickly and with great resolve (albeit he crippled our most important bank by selling to the evil Dutch and French) is preciesly the cause of his demise.

When googling "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" in Dutch all I get is articles on Leterme's predictable failure. Heh.
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

And from the funny pics thread:

"An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
            The Christian-democrats want to form a government that will stay on until 2011, when the next federal elections are supposed to be held. They want it because it would mean the least electoral damage to them. Most of the other parties want to hold federal elections together with the local and European elections in june.
            Where's the riots?

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog

Where's the riots?

We're a weak and feeble people. We don't like fighting, so we let others do it for us. It does create a small problem when we want to get some heavy revolution goin'.

Hell, the Greeks are rioting over some trifle. They've got the good ole warrior spirit in them.

Comment

Western governments get all freaked when you hit the streets in serious numbers.

Here - they just see it as free target practice for the police.......

Comment

Will this affect chocolate production?

Comment

Working...
                  X