No announcement yet.

I think I like Jazz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm partial to the tenor sax myself, as my list would indicate (I'm also learning to play it), but Charlie Parker's the obvious choice for alto sax; Rhino has a superb 2-disc set called "Yardbird Suite" that's a great place to start. My personal favorite alto player, though, is Cannonball Adderly; check out Somethin' Else if you like bop, and Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! if you like your jazz mixed with a bit of funk.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Incidentally, the Christmas CD Jingle Bell Jazz is both a great Christmas album and a great jazz sampler. The track list:

1. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Dexter Gordon Quartet
      2. I'll Be Home For Christmas - McCoy Tyner
      3. Christmas Song, The - The Arthur Blythe Quartet
      4. Our Little Town - The Heath Brothers
      5. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen - Paquito D'Rivera
      6. We Three Kings of Orient Are - Wynton Marsalis Quintet
      7. Jingle Bells - Duke Ellington
      8. White Christmas - Lionel Hampton
      9. Christmas Song, The - Carmen McRae
      10. Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Pony Poindexter
      11. Santa Claus Is Coming to Town - Dave Brubeck Quartet
      12. Deck Us All With Boston Charlie - Dave Lambert/Hendricks/Ross
      13. Blue Christmas (To Whom It May Concern) - Miles Davis
      14. Deck the Halls - Herbie Hancock

"I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
        Can you (jazz people) recommend someone who plays the Alto sax?

Dave Koz - Memories of a Winter's Night (2007)
        Piano, Arranger, Sax (Alto), Sax (Baritone), Sax (Tenor), Compilation Producer, Liner Notes, Producer

Dave Koz - The Dance (1999)
        Dave Koz
        Percussion, Sax (Tenor), Sax Effects, Effects, Liner Notes, Main Performer, Producer, Multi Instruments, Sound Effects, Sax (Soprano), Keyboards, Saxophone, Sax (Baritone), Sax (Alto), Arranger
        ...He surrounds himself with some of pop, R&B, gospel, and his own genre's greatest performers, but never lets you forget that this is a sax player's album. ...
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Mahavishnu Orchestra / John McLaughlin
          Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
          Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
          Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
            Are you white?
            Yes
            Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
            The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
            The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Re: Re: I think I like Jazz

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Suicide is probably your only option.
              mkay
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Re: I think I like Jazz

Originally posted by Heraclitus
                I never listened to the stuff, but recently I seem to have acquired a taste.

What would my fellow polytubbies recomend?
                Abdullah Ibrahim

Yusef Lateef

Dave Brubeck

Tubby Hayes

Cassandra Wilson

Sarah Vaughan

Nina Simone

Courtney Pine

Duke Ellington

Oscar Peterson

Johnny Dankworth

Django Reinhardt

Harold Budd

Cal Tjader

Bobby Hutcherson & Harold Land

Lionel Hampton

George Shearing

Peggy Lee

Jan Garbarek

Jon Hassell

I'd happily recommend any of the 2 C.D. Verve/Blue Note/CBS compilations- go for ones with themes, or that offer the widest variety of artists, as you're bound to find something you'll enjoy.

If you like Minimalist/experimental jazz, try the E.C.M. label.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                  Can you (jazz people) recommend someone who plays the Alto sax?
                  Hmmmm... I see most people have ignored what some label "progressive jazz" or "jazz fusion"

Alto Sax - Wayne Shorter
                  (Weather Report)

He played with Miles Davis before starting "Weather Report"

Other good music to sample:
                  Chick Corea - Another student of Miles Davis before starting "Return to Forever"

Herbie Hancock - yet another student of Miles Davis who released many great things under his own name.
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Nostromoo's list includes several of my personal favorites, especially "Kind of Blue." This list would be mostly now regarded as "Classics." Miles Davis' later work, late 60's on, requires a very specialized taste I have been unable to comprehend. With the possible exception of the Billie Holiday recording, all of the listed performances have been available on CD in the past few years. Some of us bought them as albums when these recordings were contemporary or early classics.
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Hmmmm... I see most people have ignored what some label "progressive jazz" or "jazz fusion"

Alto Sax - Wayne Shorter
                      (Weather Report)

He played with Miles Davis before starting "Weather Report"

Other good music to sample:
                      Chick Corea - Another student of Miles Davis before starting "Return to Forever"

Herbie Hancock - yet another student of Miles Davis who released many great things under his own name.
                      Both were in the Vilnius Mama Jazz festival at some point. We're loyal sponsors for maybe 4 years now This year Chick was with McLauglin and three other biggies, the so called Five Peace Band.

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Working...
                      X