Official Babe Thread VI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
    I think either they're consciously overriding their biology (which is done all the time to various extents, obviously, since we're not all running around naked) or something is misfiring in their brains.

Exactly. As long as you keep that disjunctive, I can't understand how you're saying anything other than common sense. We override our biology every second of every day. That doesn't mean it isn't there.
    Unbelievable!

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
      Exactly. As long as you keep that disjunctive, I can't understand how you're saying anything other than common knowledge.
      Yeah well you know how it is. It's a pile on on me no matter what I say. Half the forum mocked me when I claimed that sub-zero temperatures in Dallas are rare. I then got weather data to confirm that Dallas January's have had very few sub-32F days over the past several years (though a bit more recently, interestingly enough). Yet I was just piled on for what I am certain is a fact... that Dallas winters are not cold. It's freaking Texas, people! Go figure
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• A tougher question is this, though: does one who dispenses with self-repression and adopts (or already has) personal preferences that happen to be squarely aligned with evolutionary preferences have an objectively more fulfilling sex life? I don't think anyone can adequately answer that question, but I must say the black guys I know are getting a hell of a lot more satisfaction than the punk guys I know.
        Unbelievable!

Comment

I don't think anyone's denying that the cultural conditioning, intellectually derived individual preferences, pathological defense mechanisms, etc. capable of stamping out preferences that evolution can be expected to have ingrained are, by early adulthood, so hard-wired as to accomplish said stamping so rapidly as to render it imperceptible. That reality of how action potentials work doesn't detract from Alby's position that this process nonetheless occurs or, in the case of those with some deficiency in their genetic triggers, ought to occur.
          It's imperceptible? How convenient. You have an excuse for not having proof it even exists.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
            How convenient. You have an excuse for not having proof it even exists.

Isn't that the beauty of it though?
            Unbelievable!

Comment

• Still, there has to be other evidence of it beyond mere hypothesizing about natural selection. For example, modern black guys tend to dig bigger butts more, and black guys are genetically closer to our evolutionary forebears, so it stands to reason that the ape in all of us digs big butts. Prove me wrong.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

• They could be more accustomed to women having big butts because black people tend to spend more time around black people. Prove me wrong!

Comment

I don't think anyone's denying that the cultural conditioning, intellectually derived individual preferences, pathological defense mechanisms, etc. capable of stamping out preferences that evolution can be expected to have ingrained are, by early adulthood, so hard-wired as to accomplish said stamping so rapidly as to render it imperceptible. That reality of how action potentials work doesn't detract from Alby's position that this process nonetheless occurs or, in the case of those with some deficiency in their genetic triggers, ought to occur.
                  so you're saying that essentially you can't separate these processes. i would agree with that. i don't think anyone denied that there are biological impulses, i certainly didn't. my argument was that there are many things which determine what we find attractive, and they all play a role. whereas albert was arguing that biology overrides everything, which i reject.
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                    whereas albert was arguing that biology overrides everything, which i reject.
                    I think even Alby said he wasn't going that far, multiple times. He did lead off a little strong though.
                    Unbelievable!

Comment

• well he started off with this

This stuff is objective. Beauty consists only in physical signals for musculoskeletal health and general health and virility. No such thing as beauty in the eye of the beholder.
                      of course he then backtracked somewhat, as well he might have done.
                      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

• When Albert started saying "culture is the ultimate phenotype" or something like that I assumed he was saying biology determines everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Koyaanisqatsi View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]168732[/ATTACH]
                          I would have to consult with my peers, but I believe those ships have sailed.

Also, this is why we can't have nice things, albie. You're the only one who is telling the rest of us that we're doing it wrong. You trot out some pseudo-intellectual garbage because you've no frame of refrence.
                          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• Nice to see self biased listed as most recent poster. I figured there might actually be a new photo posted.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X