If Iran nukes Israel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Iran nukes Israel...

...will the west nuke Iran? If the west nukes Iran will Russia/China/France nuke the west?

Possibly
    No
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: If Iran nukes Israel...

Originally posted by Space05us
      ...will the west nuke Iran? If the west nukes Iran will Russia/China/France nuke the west?
      Likely no, on both counts.

The only possibility for the West to nuke Iran (as opposed to Israel nuking Iran) would be if there was reason to believe that Iran could continue to fire nukes at Israel (or others!) and Israel was unable to stop them (very doubtful; if it was a matter of operational intelligence the West would be busy providing Israel with whatever they knew about launch sites, while Israel should easily have enough missiles to knock these out).

In this unlikely case, the West (meaning the US) might torch wherever they thought missiles could come from.

In terms of revenge nukings, however, the West would almost certainly not participate. It would let Israel take out Tehran and keep its own hands clean.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think with Obama's desire to put Israel under the UMBRELLA means the US Would have to retaliate or all the other countries currently under the UMBRELLA would wonder if it meant anything.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

That's why putting a country with significant nuclear capability and regional enemies under your nuke umbrella is a bad idea.

The Israelis can take care of themselves.

Nuke umbrellas are good in terms of mutual strategic defence against global enemies (NATO vs. USSR during Cold War, say) and to encourage non-nuclear nations to remain nuke-free.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

France IS part of the West, you douchebag.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

A definite "no" on France retaliating for US retaliation.
              As to Russia/China, any counterstrike against US itself will lead to the depopulation of the Northern hemisphere. China is very unlikely to take that step. As to Russia, Putin has a KGB mindset and might be willing to start WW III. However, I suspect he will not, and so does the future US leadership as near as I can tell. If we guess wrong, then for Europe, Asia, and North America.
              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

So South America and Africa will be spared?

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  That's why putting a country with significant nuclear capability and regional enemies under your nuke umbrella is a bad idea.

The Israelis can take care of themselves.

Nuke umbrellas are good in terms of mutual strategic defence against global enemies (NATO vs. USSR during Cold War, say) and to encourage non-nuclear nations to remain nuke-free.
                  Agreed but there's been a lot of talk that Obama is thinking this in conjunction with his belief that we won't stop Iran from eventually building nukes. Additional deterence so to speak.

WHile I would want to further discourage IRAN from doing anything that stupid if they do have nukes, I'm not sure I want to have our nukes commited since I believe that it's all a game of mutual bluffing and it only takes one nut for everything to go to hell.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                      Envision yourself as a world leader with the power to destroy all major military power centers in the world at one go in what will probably be a part of the last act in modern history. Likely not many of those targets will be below the equator. Since the world's winds circulate primarily in their own hemispheres, the fallout in the north will kill everyone north of the equator thru repeated exposure to say nothing of the original strikes themselves (that will turn hundreds of millions instantly to dust). The few blasts and fallout-laden clouds in the Southern hemisphere will disappate over time. The "nuclear winter" effect will be much greater in the North. Undoubtably there will be riots and famine and maybe some wars in the south, but in the end organized human society should prevail.
                      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

You forgot Poland Australasia.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

So what if they were? In a thousand years, the two might meet.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

You forgot Poland Australasia.
                            There are no people that live down there. There's just kangaroos, koalas, and dingos.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer

Envision yourself as a world leader with the power to destroy all major military power centers in the world at one go in what will probably be a part of the last act in modern history. Likely not many of those targets will be below the equator. Since the world's winds circulate primarily in their own hemispheres, the fallout in the north will kill everyone north of the equator thru repeated exposure to say nothing of the original strikes themselves (that will turn hundreds of millions instantly to dust). The few blasts and fallout-laden clouds in the Southern hemisphere will disappate over time. The "nuclear winter" effect will be much greater in the North. Undoubtably there will be riots and famine and maybe some wars in the south, but in the end organized human society should prevail.
                              You're one scary beast.

Comment

Working...
                              X