i found out this morning that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i found out this morning that...

someone i grew up with committed suicide on monday.

it's quite surreal because i wouldn't really consider him a friend, but how else would one describe the relationship? only Tiamat has ever met him from 'poly, so i'm not expecting an outpouring of sympathy.

were it any act of carelessness on his behalf: hunting accident, car accident, or were he bit by some sort of hot snake he had acquired and couldn't get medical attention in time i'd be able to take it better in stride.

but, he ate the barrel of a gun over some f*cking broad. it bothers me because we had always figured him far too narcissistic to do such a thing. i hadn't heard from him but once in the last two years, and even then, it had only been because i had stopped by a mutual friend's place whilst he was visiting.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

[/inadequate] Dunno what to say, man.

The closest I've come to this was when a nutty friend left a suicide note on MySpace. Luckily he got talked out of it or lost interest or something.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

i'm not sure how i should feel, and that's what's making me feel awkward. he was a tool, but i wouldn't have wished this sort of thing upon him.

Comment

I think onl ynarcists would

And yeah, suicide is really depressing. Death is in general.
        Last edited by Jon Miller; December 14, 2008, 19:27.
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Feel how you want to feel, and never mind "should." Wherever he's gone, I doubt he'll mind.

Then again, I've never lost anyone close to me, so maybe my advice isn't worth much.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

This is awful, self biased. But at some point down the road, whether it's hard to believe or not, you will feel better again.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by self biased
              i'm not sure how i should feel, and that's what's making me feel awkward. he was a tool, but i wouldn't have wished this sort of thing upon him.
              well, there isn't something you are "supposed" to feel in this situation, so whatever you are feeling is probably fine.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You are confused, so it's perfectly natural to feel confused. When you start to make sense of it, normal feelings will come.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Sympathy. Truth is, you and others who knew him are the only sufferers. He's long gone, whatever you believe. Suggest you have a drink in his name, or if you know enough folks who had him in common, have a small farewell party/wake. Then move on.
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

It's a shame that anyone thinks that killing themselves is a good solution to any problem.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

It's rude.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Agree with those who say don't worry about how you feel.

My half brother threw himself off the George Washington Bridge. I didn't know him all that well, for reasons I won't get into, but I felt basically nothing, whilst family members were torn up about it. I spent some time wondering what was wrong with me. The answer, though, is nothing. I just didn't know him well enough to have a strong emotional reaction to his death. My non-reaction wasn't wrong. It was quite natural, really.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

In general, I never have a strong reaction to death, even when it is someone I am close to. My reaction is usually, "well that sucks!" And, I leave it at that, pick up the peices, thank 'em for the memories and move on.

I feel that people who get sad because someone died get sad because they feel robbed of any future sharing of experiences they may have had, and that's selfish. There is no reason to feel grief, maybe pitty...

Hook: Death is the only adventure I have left.
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Mikey? Surely not Ed. I'm very sorry to hear that. I've lost two friends and an ex husband to suicide. All I have to say at being on this end is that it's quite selfish. That being said, Very sorry that you have to deal with those feelings.
                            Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                            Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                            Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                            You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

yeah, it was waffle. i'm more in jaffer's camp. i'm not really all that torn up about it, though. he wasn't always that good of a friend, but his loyalty toward his friends was handled with a fierceness and intensity that i've yet to encounter again.

Comment

Working...
                              X