Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's simple.

I'm the biggest.

I'm also the best trained at hand combat.

I win.

Seriously, we try to keep politics and religion out of the conversations. It's especially "fun" during Christmas as my Sister in law was raised to believe that Santa is, quite literally, Satan. (Her dad (sociology professor) does a lecture on the topic at the local university every year.) And that anyone letting their kids believe in Santa should be corrected.

We have managed to get her to shut the hell up about it since we had kids, though. Mostly by my mom tossing her out a year or two. Fun times.
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
      What was it?
      The sort of thing that even I know better than to discuss with strangers online. Sorry
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

We never had family incidents during the meetings.
        Problems may occur before the meeting and what may - and has - happen, is that A says "If B is present, then I won't come" and B says "If A is present, then I won't come".
        In the past we cared, but now, we chose one and don't care about the other. If s/he is offended, we just say it was HER/IS conditions, not ours, so S/HE has to face the consequences.

And yes, we chose the one we liked most. Oh, you're offended again... well, try to think about it and maybe... change your behavior?
        The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

How serious? One of my uncles stole a house from his brothers (my father included) and we all still talk to him.
          Around about that serious; though I'll stand up for myself and by family, whereas you seem to be a *****.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
            Around about that serious; though I'll stand up for myself and by family, whereas you seem to be a *****.
            Actually it happened when I was a little kid and I don't particularly care about my family. My father doesn't want to lose his relationship with his brother, but my mother ****ing hates the uncle.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Your fathers a wimp.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

It could be said. But I'd much prefer if you said it with an apostrophe.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I feel quite fortunate. We've had almost zero family conflicts. And those minor issues have stayed minor. I even like my in-laws.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You don't make them leave the house for a week to cool off, or go back and erase what they said?
                    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

1) Feign obliviousness.
                      2) Drink heavily.
                      3) Repeat #2 as necessary.
                      The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                        You don't make them leave the house for a week to cool off, or go back and erase what they said?
                        It took me a second but
                        No.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                          It could be said. But I'd much prefer if you said it with an apostrophe.
                          Unlike you I'm alredy wasted having handed in my dissertation.

Comment

In family conflicts, despite all the apparent choices, there are usually only two real choices. First, you can take a side, and suffer all the heavy consequences from one side and the light levels of personal support from the other. Or you can steadfastly take no side in which case everyone will be mad at you but on a much lower scale.

I have never been to an extended family event (mine or anyone else's in any country where buried animosities and communication difficulties weren't lurking in the background making everyone nervous. In my family, I stayed out of those fights concientiously, and I still got dragged in and blamed for things without saying a word. Eventually, we'll outlive all that or it will outlive us. Beats the heck out of having no family.
                            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Whilst that reply requires no answer...I think I ought to say... It's the truth, and the real answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X