X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classical music thread for TCO

Ask away.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

What relationship is there between the diatonic scale and the seventeen regular tilings of the plane?

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
      What relationship is there between the diatonic scale and the seventeen regular tilings of the plane?

Second cousins.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Can they get married?

All right, won't ruin your thread. Which of the Brandenburg concertos is your favourite?
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

For someone who is very classical music stupid, what CD should I buy? how should I most efficiently gather enjoyment and appreciation of the art form?

Comment

Next question: Spohr or Shostakovich?
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Brandenburg: Probably 6. They get better and better as they go along.

Can't go wrong with any, of course.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                Next question: Spohr or Shostakovich?
                Shostakovich, if just for the String Quartet #8 in C minor.

EDIT: That's not to dis his symphonies, which are fantastic, even with the Soviet interference.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                  For someone who is very classical music stupid, what CD should I buy? how should I most efficiently gather enjoyment and appreciation of the art form?
                  I avoid compilation CDs, but they are good for getting feet wet.

Do you know enough about stylistic periods to state a preference? Baroque vs. Classical vs. Romantic vs. Early Modern, etc.?

And do you prefer quieter, prettier classical, or louder, meatier classical?
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I like some guy, I can't remember. I think he is a minor composer. A little older than norm. Sort of quirky. and his name starts with S.

Oh...and hooked on classics and John Williams.

Comment

What's a good compliation CD? Or how to select one? I really like idea of a CD with multiple composers actually. Not even gtrolling, but greatest hist of classical would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                        I like some guy, I can't remember. I think he is a minor composer. A little older than norm. Sort of quirky. and his name starts with S.
                        Salieri?

Oh...and hooked on classics and John Williams.
                        Not familiar with HoC, but if you like John Williams, you'd probably appreciate:

Mahler (one of my favorites)
                        Holst (The Planets)
                        Prokofiev
                        Wagner (mostly operatic, but can get instrumental CDs)

Might like Nielsen, too.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I have Mahler. I was teasing on Williams and HoC.

Not Salieri. Was actually not being cute. It is a different composer. One that Bill Buckley liked too. I think more like Bach era.

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                            What's a good compliation CD? Or how to select one? I really like idea of a CD with multiple composers actually. Not even gtrolling, but greatest hist of classical would be cool.
                            Most of the compilation CDs I have are of a single operatic vocalist singing a variety of arias from different composers.

But I have given as a gift several times:

The Most Relaxing Classical Album in the World.

I think there's a sequel, but I just have the first one. It's a 2-disc set and chock full of the loveliest bits from Classical Music. Nothing heavy or really loud and gutsy, though.

Time/Life's 4 "Classical Thunder" CDs have a good sampling of the heavy-hitter warhorses (and even a few obscure selections), but the performances on the CDs are pretty sketchy. I wasn't impressed with the quality, but I was familiar with most of the pieces beforehand.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by TCO
                              I have Mahler. I was teasing on Williams and HoC.
                              Which Mahler?

Nothing wrong with Williams, either. Not an all-time great, but it's hard to argue with the best of his movie scores.

Not Salieri. Was actually not being cute. It is a different composer. One that Bill Buckley liked too. I think more like Bach era.
                              Any idea on a nationality, even? It's a bit vague.

Scarlatti is the first name coming to mind.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X