This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois governor arrested

This doesn't sound good. I wonder if the governor's office is now for sale? I'd like to submit an offer.
    I'll give a Ming, a RAH and a ferret to be named later.

Rod Blagojevich has been arrested on charges of conspiring to sell Barack Obama’s open Senate seat

CHICAGO – Federal prosecutors say the investigation into allegations that Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich (bluh-GOY'-uh-vich) tried to sell the Senate seat vacated by President-elect Barack Obama found no evidence that Obama did anything wrong.

At a news conference in Chicago on Tuesday, U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald reiterated a number of times that there were no allegations of impropriety on Obama's part.

The governor is accused of conspiring to sell or trade Illinois' vacant senate seat.

The 76-page FBI affidavit contends that governor was intercepted on wiretaps last month conspiring to shake people down, and it alleges he even considered appointing himself if he wasn't offered anything of value.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

CHICAGO (AP) — The U.S. Attorney in Chicago says his office is making "no allegations" that President-elect Barack Obama was aware of any alleged scheming by arrested Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich (bluh-GOY'-uh-vich).

Blagojevich was arrested on Tuesday on charges that he brazenly conspired to sell or trade the Senate seat left vacant by Obama to the highest bidder.

At a news conference on Tuesday, U.S. Attorney Patrick Fitzgerald said the corruption charges against the governor represent "a truly new low."

An FBI affidavit says the 51-year-old Democrat was intercepted on wiretaps conspiring to sell or trade the vacant Senate seat for personal benefits for himself and his wife.

Fitzgerald described the situation by saying: "We were in the middle of a corruption crime spree and we wanted to stop it."

The governor has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

on Slowwy
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
      on Slowwy

For you Slowwhand
      Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

he has rah on ignore
        Monkey!!!

Comment

You can't have a mod on ignore.
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
          X