X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guns for Butter

A sure sign of the times:

In lean times, SoCal residents trade guns for food
    By THOMAS WATKINS, Associated Press Writer Thomas Watkins, Associated Press Writer – Mon Dec 8,

LOS ANGELES – A program to exchange guns for gifts brought in a record number of weapons this year as residents hit hard by the economy look under the bed and in closets to find items to trade for groceries.

The annual Gifts for Guns program ended Sunday in Compton, a working class city south of Los Angeles that has long struggled with gun and gang violence. In a program similar to ones in New York and San Francisco, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department allows residents to anonymously relinquish firearms in return for $100 gift cards for Ralphs supermarkets, Target department stores or Best Buy electronics stores.

Turning in assault rifles yields double that amount.

In years past, Target and Best Buy were the cards of choice, with residents wanting presents for the holidays.

This year, most asked for the supermarket cards, said sheriff's Sgt. Byron Woods.

"People just don't have the money to buy the food these days," he said.

Authorities said Sunday that a record 965 firearms and two hand grenades were handed in during the two weekends the program was in operation. That's more than in any other year and easily eclipses last year's total of 387 guns collected over both weekends.

Compton's violent history has been chronicled in such gangsta rap albums as N.W.A.'s "Straight Outta Compton." But Woods said most of the residents who turned in weapons were "family people."

"One guy said he had just got laid off from his job," Woods said. "He turned in five guns and said it would really help him to put food on the family's table."

Gun owners dropped their weapons off at a local grocery store parking lot. Deputies checked the weapons to see whether they had been used in crimes, then destroyed them.

The annual drive started in 2005 after a spike in killings, though the murder rate has since dropped.

One man brought in a Soviet-era semiautomatic carbine.

"If that got into the wrong hands of gangbangers, they could kill several people within minutes," Woods said. "Our biggest fear is a house getting burglarized and these guns getting taken."

The drive also has yielded antique weapons.

Gift cards for the guns exchange were paid mostly by Los Angeles County, but the three companies involved and the city of Compton, which contracts the county for police protection, also donated funds.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

This is dumb. If they keep their guns, they can rob people every day, whereas this is a one-shot deal.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The article didn't mention how many new guns entered Compton in the last year. This is just a subsidized weaponry upgrade program.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I assume that even in Compton you can't get a gun for under $100 or this'd be more of an economic stimulus package.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
            This is dumb. If they keep their guns, they can rob people every day, whereas this is a one-shot deal.
            "Let a man give up his gun, feed him for a day. Let a man keep his gun, feed him for his life."
            B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
              And get what, a few bucks at a time?

Also, they might have to use bullets, and those cost extra.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You know, 965 guns comes to $96,500 worth of gift cards, with who knows how many more to be given out.

Question: Wouldn't bulldozing Compton be cheaper?
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Good idea. Then those people who still have their guns and are now pissed off about their homes being bulldozed can fan out across the area.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    I assume that even in Compton you can't get a gun for under $100 or this'd be more of an economic stimulus package.
                    I didn't say it would pay for a new weapon, just help. I think it's only fair to give the poorer people a helping hand in attaining their full rights as a citizen.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

weapon upgrade programs
                      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Good idea. Then those people who still have their guns and are now pissed off about their homes being bulldozed can fan out across the area.
                        Cordon off the area with the National Guard first. Duh.
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd put my money on the Comptonites with guns vs. bulldozers.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

$200 for an assault rifle? Even at a steep discount, you can do better than that...
                            "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                            "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                            "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

I don't know why they waited until after the program was over to publicize it. Years ago, I was will a Saturday night special. I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of it without it going back into circulation. I cudda had a hundred bucks for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X