HDTV help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oerdin
    This is the brand new 46" Samsung I was looking at on Black Friday: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218015167704

Best Buy lists it at $1099 but I've seen it for $1050.
    Based on the pic I think that's the same series as my 42" ... which is a very good machine so if you can get it (particularly under $1000 ... I paid $9xx something for the 42" six months ago, and it was on a quite good sale then).
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      This is the brand new 46" Samsung I was looking at on Black Friday: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218015167704

Best Buy lists it at $1099 but I've seen it for $1050.
      does the 60 hz refresh rate matter?

The one thing I notice on my Samsung DLP is that it handles very fast motion combined with very fast light/dark very poorly (strobe light effect) -- think Alien, also noticed it with that terrible Rock movie Walking Tall). Pixilation and blurring. I've always assumed that was due to poor refresh rate. thoughts?
      The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

60hz is the standard refresh rate, just don't get anything with <60hz refresh rate (well, 58 or 57 is probably okay).

Comment

There was a slight blur on fast motion but the truth is it was extremely slight. Samsung did have a 120 hz set but it goes for like $2700.

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

How does a 120hz refresh rate work precisely? 60hz is above the ability of the human eye to discern ... is it just that if it is interlaced you get 60hz of the interlacing (i = refresh every other line every (refresh rate) seconds)?

On my samsung that is I think the same thing at 42", I have no motion blur that I can notice - though I may be relatively undiscerning on such things as I'm used to non-HDTV.

edit: read the Vans page, and it seems to explain it. TV is filmed at 30FPS, or 30hz , so each frame is shown 2x at 60hz. DVDs, though, are generally filmed at 24FPS, so they do not show cleanly at 60hz (3 frames then 2 frames then 3 then ...) 120hz however divides evenly, which makes sense. So it sounds like 120hz only matters for DVDs, and not for TV blur.
            Last edited by snoopy369; December 5, 2008, 19:03.

Comment

I thought for gaming the higher refresh rate was supposed to make a difference. I'll see if I can find
              anything...

edit: I can't and afaict there's still debate as to whether 120Hz actually "looks better" or not.
              Last edited by DirtyMartini; December 5, 2008, 19:47.
              The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

I think I would just go with the 60 hz one unless someone could prove 120 hz is worth more then twice the price.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369

Based on the pic I think that's the same series as my 42" ... which is a very good machine so if you can get it (particularly under $1000 ... I paid $9xx something for the 42" six months ago, and it was on a quite good sale then).
                  I'm betting there will be even better sales as we approach Xmas with the very best deals going after Xmas. Supposedly sales on big ticket items like large TVs have sucked so stores are slashing prices to get people to buy.

Comment

Re: HDTV help

Originally posted by DirtyMartini
                    Based on my little bit of web research I'm thinking about a Panasonic plasma (TH50PZ800U). The TV will mostly be for movies/games. I do most of my cable TV watching upstairs. Room can probably handle a 50 incher, not much bigger (I need to measure). Must be flat panel as I want to hang it on wall.
                    Can you hang that on a wall?

I bought a 52" Plasma about a year ago because the salesman said to me "Unless you want to hang it on a wall (I didn't) you get more bang for your buck with a plasma."

Comment

Don't get plasma, and look at Samsung. Vizio is what we just bought at the Legion. Two of them. I have an Olevia, but I don't think they're in business now.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Go on the AVS forums for real answers. Some people there really know their stuff.

A forum community dedicated to home theater owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about home audio/video, TVs, projectors, screens, receivers, speakers, projects, DIY’s, product reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I notice their talking a lot about the Samsung 650 series.

BTW the 650 series has the 120hz you were looking for and sells for just $1500 for the 46"

Last edited by Dinner; December 6, 2008, 11:52.

Comment

This summer I bought an LG 47" LCD with 120Hz (47LG70) and it has been awesome for watching the NFL. Zero motion blur, and great viewing at even sharp angles.

Wall mounted it easily. Consumer Reports rated it highly.
                            And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

Working...
                            X