I knew this :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew this :(

An Australian study into the sexual history of 185 students at the University of Sydney found male science "nerds" were the least likely to have had sexual intercourse.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

For those that are click through challenged

Male science 'nerds' most likely to be virgins, study says
    An Australian study into the sexual history of 185 students at the University of Sydney found male science "nerds" were the least likely to have had sexual intercourse.

By Bonnie Malkin in Sydney
    Last Updated: 12:12PM GMT 05 Dec 2008

At the other end of the spectrum, female arts students ranked as the most sexually active.

The study of 16 to 25-year-olds, published in the journal Sexual Health, said: "Males in the study were less likely to have had sex as a group compared to the group of females in the sample.

"Science students were also less likely to have had sex compared to their counterparts in other faculties."

Sydney-based psychotherapist Stephen Carroll said cultural factors would have played a role in the results, because many international students come to Australia to study science.

"Boys also start having sex later than girls," Dr Carroll said.

The work ethic of science students, and their devotion to the lab, kept them out environments where they would meet women, he said.

"And who are the people at unis that go to the rave parties and the bar?

"It's not the nerdy boy science students.

"They're carrying on doing their experiments, going to the library or doing their assignments."

However, the finding have been vigorously disputed by male science graduates.

Dr Chris Ganora, who studied science for three years, denied the subject put an end to all romantic pursuits.

"Although we may have been a little nerdier than the other students, let's just say the gender ratio wasn't as bad as engineering," he said.

More female students (78 per cent) than male (22 per cent) agreed to take part in the survey.

The study also charted student knowledge of sexually-transmitted disease chlamydia.

Researcher Melissa Kang had previously found that infection rates in women aged 20 to 24 quadrupled from 335 cases per 100,000 people in 1999, to 1,300 per 100,000 people last year.
    Like they needed a study to prove this...

Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

male science graduates representative: If you take the ratio of time spent searching for intercourse vs free time available into account, we have 1.337 (rounded) times more sex per graduate than philosophy majors.
      Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
      GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Males in the study were less likely to have had sex as a group...
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave

male science graduates representative: If you take the ratio of time spent searching for intercourse vs free time available into account, we have 1.337 (rounded) times more sex per graduate than philosophy majors.
          Nerd.
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit

This is actually seen in many many studies, women lose their virginity earlier then men do. (on average)

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
              For those that are click through challenged
              Don't you mean "For the non-virgins"?

ACK!
              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Do the male science have correspondingly less chlamydia infections? After all, that's what the study was really about. The side finding about the nerds, while fitting all the proper stereotypes, may simply indicate nerd honesty. Introverts will say they aren't in the know, no extrovert would dare.
                No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                  This is actually seen in many many studies, women lose their virginity earlier then men do. (on average)

JM
                  Another joke goes WOOOSH over someone's head.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I didn't think of the gay angle... but I am not sure if that part is true?

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

What gay angle?

JRabbit was laughing at an unfortunately-worded phrase in the article:

Males in the study were less likely to have had sex as a group
                      Which would perhaps better have been stated as "As a group, males in the study were less likely to have had sex..."
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Male group sex is surely just a bit gay?

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Not necessarily, it could be a male having sex with a group of females.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

That is group sex, not male group sex.

Male group sex I would parse is group sex with only males involved.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Well, it said "males having sex as a group," which also could mean mixed males and females, I believe.

I didn't think of it as gay at first. Why does Poly always have to be about the gay sex?
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X