Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Bush's fault.

If you hoard coins the terrorists win.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Serious question. Why does Argentina always find a way to screw things up? It always seems to be on the verge of becoming a 1st world country only to suddenly self destruct. WTF?

I mean they've been doing this for the last century. "Everything is going well and soon we will.... HEY! What does this shiny red button do?" [ship explodes]
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Argentina wasn't just on the verge, it was a first world country. A hundred years ago its economy was equal to France.

The problem could be the resource trap, combined with populist/nationalist misgovernment.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
          It's Bush's fault.

If you hoard coins the terrorists win.
          Well, even if the government is right and there would be enough coins if people didn't horde them the solution is still clear. Make butt loads of more coins. Make so many coins that people realize they're behaving irrationally and stop hording coins. Stop printing bills (or cut back on printing) to off set the coin production but get enough coins out there so that commerce runs smoothly.

Comment

If the bus companies are hoarding change, as the article suggests, it will be difficult to produce enough to match their ability to pull coins out the system.

I'd clamp down on the bus companies. I'd suggest enforcing a flatter fare structure that's less change-hungry, as well as raiding their premises to collect coin stockpiles. It sounds like the Argentinian government's writ doesn't extent very far, though.

Maybe even encourage car-sharing, pedestrians and bicycles.

Comment

They should force the bus companies to deposit the coins into their bank accounts.
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

The government should encourage a move to stored value cards as payment for bus fares.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                  If I was in a coin-shortage situation, I'd probably carry around a box of chocolate bars to smooth out transactions. Maybe a bag of chocolate buttons for small stuff. Or indeed, chocolate coins...
                  You must have been reading my mind. There have to be all sorts of things which are worth ~1 argie peso which are readily available and easy to carry around.

I think the article exaggerates a little bit...
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The other thing the government could do (if the bus companies really are trying to corner the market on certain denominations of legal tender....Jesus, it sounds weird to even say that) is to announce that old issues of coins will lose some of their value over time...
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The buses need Oyster Cards

Comment

(if the bus companies really are trying to corner the market on certain denominations of legal tender....Jesus, it sounds weird to even say that)

yes

Comment

I asked an Argentian at work about this, but it was news to him. He just shook his head and said, "****ing Argentina".
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                            The buses need Oyster Cards
                            Did somebody mention the Oyster Card?

Comment

Working...
                            X