Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disease kills over half the world's population, what happens next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
    Then again, most non-urban Europeans weren't Christians until after 1000 A.D. anyway

???????

What "Europe" are you discussing?

What would constitute Renaissance Europe was almost uniformly Christian well before then.
    Read Norman Cantor's "The Civilization of the Middle Ages." He shows that the bulk of Europeans who lived outside Europe's cities clung to pagan beliefs deep into the Medieval period. It wasn't until the founding of the Benedicting Monastaries that the Church took a serious and successful effort in stamping out paganism, but Cantor says it remained strong and was finally rooted out c. 1200 A.D., IIRC.

Perhaps this had something to do with Europe sucking so long? It would argue the other side of the possibility that the Catholic Church stymied progress, as it would suggest that relatively soon after the Church stamped out paganism for good, the Renaissance came to pass.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Read Norman Cantor's "The Civilization of the Middle Ages." He shows that the bulk of Europeans who lived outside Europe's cities clung to pagan beliefs deep into the Medieval period. It wasn't until the founding of the Benedicting Monastaries that the Church took a serious and successful effort in stamping out paganism, but Cantor says it remained strong and was finally rooted out c. 1200 A.D., IIRC.

The thesis seems a bit extreme. I might look it over, but I will be wary of proof by anecdote, as well as equating pre-Christian cultural traditions with paganism.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'd cite if I had the book handy, but I don't at work, and no poly at home
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

"The Cheese and the Worms," based on reviews of the Inquisition proceedings in Italy say much the same. Cases are by definition "anecdotal," but in the aggregate these cases which examined heresies began by teaching the accused basic Catholic Doctrine so they then could explain their beliefs in terms of that. To a modern historian, the obvious problem is hundreds of those examined, both the Accused and Witnesses, had only the most rudimentary knowledge of Christianity, e.g., not knowing where and when Christ was born or his relationship to "God." This Inquisition came in the late Medieval.

Similarly, the Catholic Counter-Reformation, a response to the Reformation in lands where Catholicism was regarded as "safe" revealed that in France, most priests were married, had children, did not understand either the Trinity or doctrine related to Mary. They did, however, universally believe in superstitions long believed by church authorities to have been stamped out, including River and Weather Gods and shape-changing in humans. If asked, these priests were all Catholics, but in practice they were more pagan than Christian.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Blaupanzer, I have a much more universal view of what would constitute Christianity among the lower classes in Western Europe in the early middle ages than you do, apparently.

Participation in the sacraments of the Roman church along with at least occasional attendance of mass (say once a year or so) would do it for me.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Perhaps this had something to do with Europe sucking so long? It would argue the other side of the possibility that the Catholic Church stymied progress, as it would suggest that relatively soon after the Church stamped out paganism for good, the Renaissance came to pass.
              Fascinating. Very interesting.
              Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

It's been a few years since I read the Cantor book, so my memory of it may be bad, but I seem to recall he also suggested that in the absense of centralized authority in Europe after the collapse of the Roman state, large numbers of the peasantry reverted back to the ancestor-worship they had practiced in the past. Local parish priests (and many villages didn't even have these) would often tolerate this and even incorporate it into their services just to get attendance at mass.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Okay, but the point Boris quoted is supported by many historians who say that what was taught in the Vatican was not what was believed or practiced outside the major cities. However, your view can also be supported as almost everyone in Western Europe would have said they were Roman Catholic and that they attended church at least twice a year (Christmas and Easter).

My own question was why the hysterias related to the plague and such if everyone was Catholic (as I understood that, being an American Irish Catholic myself). These studies show how the Albegensian heresy could spread so fast, how the witch hunts had such great appeal, and the constant stories of dopplegangers and werewolves survived. (Not that the Irish don't have a few of their own, e.g., the Banshees.)
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Because it just makes the question "why did Europe invent a religion which made them suck for so long"?
                    We didn't. The joos did, and made us believe it.
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaupanzer
                      Okay, but the point Boris quoted is supported by many historians who say that what was taught in the Vatican was not what was believed or practiced outside the major cities. However, your view can also be supported as almost everyone in Western Europe would have said they were Roman Catholic and that they attended church at least twice a year (Christmas and Easter).

My own question was why the hysterias related to the plague and such if everyone was Catholic (as I understood that, being an American Irish Catholic myself). These studies show how the Albegensian heresy could spread so fast, how the witch hunts had such great appeal, and the constant stories of dopplegangers and werewolves survived. (Not that the Irish don't have a few of their own, e.g., the Banshees.)
                      What is your question??
                      "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                      "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

The Making of Europe: Conquest, Colonization and Cultural Change, 950-1350 [Bartlett, Robert] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. The Making of Europe: Conquest, Colonization and Cultural Change, 950-1350
                        Blah

Comment

The population of England was 4-6M before the plague of 1350s. The plague and associated ills didn't kill more than 20%, but the population continued to decline for 2+ generations afterwards. The causes were more economic-related than disease-related. The low point was in the first decade of the 15th century, and then population began to grow again.

As KH pointed out, nominal wages increased during the period and Parliament passed laws to prevent this inflation. This was partly in response to continued debasement of the English penny. Silver content of the nominal 22.5 grain (1.46g) penny dropped from 18gr to 12gr.
                          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

As to the OP, odds are that a disease killing 50% of the world's population would be disproportionately confined to the Third World/China/India. Quite frankly, Europe, Japan, Canada, Australia/New Zealand, and the US have much, much, much better public health systems and would probably end up with much lower death tolls.

For those of us who live in the First World, this could be considered a Good Thing, using the cold calculus of logic. Most of the Middle East (ie, oil) would be ripe for the taking. A major competitor - China - would be crippled for decades. A major developing nation - India - would slide far further back than they already are, leading to decreased industrialization, and, as such, less pollution. Russia's recent resurgance would be derailed.

That's just my analysis, though
                            Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                            Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd
                              As to the OP, odds are that a disease killing 50% of the world's population would be disproportionately confined to the Third World/China/India. Quite frankly, Europe, Japan, Canada, Australia/New Zealand, and the US have much, much, much better public health systems and would probably end up with much lower death tolls.

For those of us who live in the First World, this could be considered a Good Thing, using the cold calculus of logic. Most of the Middle East (ie, oil) would be ripe for the taking. A major competitor - China - would be crippled for decades. A major developing nation - India - would slide far further back than they already are, leading to decreased industrialization, and, as such, less pollution. Russia's recent resurgance would be derailed.

That's just my analysis, though

Wasn't AIDS a failed attempt to do just that?
                              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Sorry Floyd. but given the crappy state of the US health care system, you will have to reconcuile yourself to a European social model after the US suffers just as badly as China.
                                If you don't like reality, change it! me
                                "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                                "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                                "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                                X