Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An eye for an eye....

taken literally:

A court in Iran has ruled that a man who blinded a woman with acid after she spurned his marriage proposals will also be blinded with acid.

The ruling was reported in Iranian newspapers on Thursday.

The punishment is legal under the Islamic Sharia code of qias or equivalence, which allows retribution for violent crimes.

The court also ordered the attacker, 27-year-old Majid Movahedi, to pay compensation to the victim.

The acid attack took place in 2004. The victim, Ameneh Bahrami, went to Spain for surgery to reconstruct her face but efforts to restore her sight failed.

The ruling was a response to her plea to the court in the Iranian capital Tehran for retribution.

"Ever since I was subject to acid being thrown on my face, I have a constant feeling of being in danger," she told the court.

Ms Bahrami also said that Movahedi had also threatened to kill her.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Always fun to learn about different cultures, isn't it?
    Blah

Eh, for once... Go for it. Nothing against the punishment.
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Mosaic law
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Might prevent it happening to other girls.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Rather crude, but it is refreshing to see an Islamic court take a woman's side on ANYTHING...
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Don't worry, next week they'll convict her for looking sexually at a man not her husband or male relative with her good eye and stone her to death.
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Say, those really, really covering veils, that have only a small hole for one eye... Does it matter, which eye? She could be in lot of trouble, if Allah dislikes the particular eye she still has.
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                Rather crude, but it is refreshing to see an Islamic court take a woman's side on ANYTHING...
                My thought exactly.

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

While it may seem crude, if this were to happen in America, would crime be decreased, say rape or robbery, any form of violence, be done unto the person it was done by.

Makes one think, it may be a deterent
                  Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    QFT
                    "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                    -Joan Robinson

Comment

Doesn't someone here have a sig that sez "An eye for an eye makes the world go blind?"

They should just throw rocks at him.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Isn't it a Gandhi quote?

You should also notice that I appropriately used the "blinded" message icon for the OP
                        Blah

Comment

If I had lost an eye for every time I through acid in a girls face...

Boys will be boys
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
                            Doesn't someone here have a sig that sez "An eye for an eye makes the world go blind?"
                            As catchy as that is, I've never quite understood it. I mean, if A stabs B's left eye, and a judge orders A's left eye stabbed as punishment, then both A and B only lose depth perception, and C's vision is as good as ever.

Or even if you take the judge out of the equation and B just gets self-help revenge by stabbling A's left eye, even then neither is blind, let alone any third parties. The only way both go blind is if B overreacts by stabbing out both of A's eyes, or if A retaliates against the retaliation, and B then retaliates against the retaliation against the retaliation; in either case A and B would be made blind, but C, D, E, etc. would still remain unaffected. More importantly, it's not the "eye for an eye" rule itself that make A and B blind (or even C, D, E, etc. if A and B suddenly decide to go on a rampage against innocent bystanders for no reason), but rather the violation (or at best misapplicaton) of the rule by A and B. Don't hate on the rule just because two jackasses didn't use it correctly.
                            Unbelievable!

Comment

Working...
                            X