Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada's Opposition Parties Vow to Bring Down Government, 1 month into its term...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada's Opposition Parties Vow to Bring Down Government, 1 month into its term...

Got your popcorn out, ladies and gentlemen? The Liberals, with a lame duck leader who just set records for lowest votes for his party, are threatening to bring the government down 1 month into its existence. :swoons:

Angry opposition parties holding coalition talks

OTTAWA — Incensed opposition parties are threatening to topple Stephen Harper's Conservative minority and have begun informally exploring the idea of cobbling together a governing coalition.

The Liberals are taking the prospect so seriously that some MPs are privately discussing ways to dump Leader Stéphane Dion without waiting for their party's scheduled May 2 leadership vote.

Sources say NDP Leader Jack Layton has cancelled a trip Friday to Vancouver to take part in the opposition talks, which went on through much of Thursday.

The machinations followed the release of the fall fiscal update.

The Liberals, NDP and Bloc Québécois said they can't support the plan because it offers no stimulus package to deal with the economic crisis.

It also contains a poison pill – a vow to scrap public subsidies for political parties that would financially cripple every party except the Tories.

Finance Minister Jim Flaherty insisted the party financing changes are part of the fiscal framework and will be considered a matter of confidence in the Commons. He said an accompanying bill will be put to a vote Monday.

That set off another round of political chicken a scant five weeks after the Oct. 14 election returned Prime Minister Stephen Harper to power with a strengthened minority.

“Instead of an immediate stimulus package to attack the recession, this government is apparently going to attack democracy,” said NDP Leader Jack Layton.

“Why doesn't he stand up for Canadians and take some action on their part instead of protecting his friends in the Conservative party?”

Bloc Leader Gilles Duceppe said the update ignores all the party's suggestions for concrete measures to stimulate the economy.

“This statement clearly goes against the interests of Quebec and we will oppose it.”

The Tories could be counting on the Liberals to back down to avoid forcing another election, as the official Opposition did repeatedly in the last Parliament.

But Liberal MPs say the tables have turned with the Harper government pushing too far, too hard.

“Talk about the hunter becoming the hunted,” said Liberal MP Dan McTeague. “They're either very stupid or very arrogant in thinking we'd simply just buckle. We don't have many more cheeks to turn here.”

The Liberals are in the midst of a leadership contest to choose a successor to Mr. Dion which is set to culminate May 2 in Vancouver.

But Mr. Dion and his would-be successors were giving no ground Thursday.

“We cannot support the plan the finance minister presented today. It's a plan to hide the deficit, it's not a plan to get our economy back on track,” said Mr. Dion.

If the government wants to avoid an election, Liberals said Mr. Harper has until Monday to reconsider his economic agenda.

“It's up to him to look at his options,” said Mr. Dion.

“We're asking the prime minister to reconsider it because obviously Canadians don't want an election.”

Liberal MP Michael Ignatieff, the presumed front runner in the race to succeed Mr. Dion, and his main rival, Bob Rae, refused to speculate about the impact a defeat of the government might have on their leadership aspirations. But both used uncompromising language to denounce the fiscal update.

“One step at a time. But I will tell you that I've got ice-water in my veins on this one,” Mr. Ignatieff said in an interview.

“I'm utterly unintimidated and undeterred by this stuff and the caucus is in the same mood . . . . [Harper] has misread the mood if he thinks that the Liberal caucus is going to cave on this matter. No way. No way.”

Similarly, Mr. Rae said the Tories are “deliberately creating a political crisis in order to avoid dealing with an economic crisis.” He said there's “no public policy benefit at all” to the move to scrap public subsidies for parties.

“It's just absolute bloody-minded meanness that's motivating them and it can't be allowed to stand.”

Should the country be propelled into an election, Mr. Dion is still legally the Liberal leader until his successor is elected. However, few Liberal MPs are likely to want to fight another election under Mr. Dion and could put pressure on him to resign immediately.

Moreover, both the Bloc and NDP have signalled that they wouldn't take part in a coalition if it meant installing Mr. Dion as prime minister.

Hence, Liberal MPs have begun privately exploring whether there is some way to speed up Mr. Dion's departure.

Some MPs said former prime minister Jean Chrétien had been approached for advice on how to massage Mr. Dion's early exit. But sources close to Mr. Chrétien said he has not been contacted and is in no way involved.

Senior strategists with both the Rae and Igatieff camps also said that their teams are not involved in trying to accelerate the leadership contest, although they conceded that some MPs may be indulging in “idle speculation” on the matter.

Under the Liberal constitution, the party's national executive, in consultation with caucus, has emergency power to appoint an interim successor should the leader resign or die.

Mr. Ignatieff, who has the lion's share of caucus and executive support, would likely become leader if that route were followed during an election.

New Democrat MP Tom Mulcair hinted that the country need not necessarily hold an election should the Conservative government fall. He told reporters there are other steps that could be taken constitutionally.

Among other options, the opposition parties could try to form a coalition government or reach agreement to give the Liberals, who came second in the Oct. 14 election, a chance to govern.

A Liberal source said the opposition leaders met separately with one another throughout the day Thursday but no decision was reached.

“Nothing happened on our side,” said the Liberal.

As far as Liberals are concerned, the Bloc would have no official role in any coalition with the NDP, “beyond making sure the other two parties play nice together.”

Conservative MPs seemed thunderstruck late Thursday by the possibility that their second term might be coming to an abrupt end.

Piling onto a parliamentary shuttle bus, they were heard incredulously asking opposition MPs if they're serious about forming a coalition.

Traditionally, the governor general is bound to take the advice of a prime minister to call an election when a government is defeated. But historian Michael Behiels said Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean wouldn't have much choice but to give a coalition a chance given that the last election was just over a month ago.

However, Mr. Behiels predicted that a coalition “wouldn't last more than a month” and the country would be plunged into another election anyway. And he said that's exactly what Mr. Harper wants.

“I think this has been engineered. Harper wants his majority so bad before we're into the depths of a recession.”
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

The Bloc. In a coalition?

Yeah, right.

I don't think the Liberals or NDP are that stupid.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Under the Liberal constitution, the party's national executive, in consultation with caucus, has emergency power to appoint an interim successor should the leader resign or die.

That. Right there. In a simple few words explains what is wrong with Canada's Parliament.

The completely unelected stooges of a party are involved in deciding who could be a Prime Minister, in a very direct way.

MPs are 'consulted'. That's all very nice. I am sure they are also 'consulted' as to whether they want their nomination papers signed.

Until the power of the parties is broken we will not have a properlly functioning parliament. Such interference in the business of the Commons should be illegal.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I agree.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Asher you are not blatantly that stupid; the conservatives, as a strategic moves, are trying to lower the fund of the BQ, NPD, and PLC.

They know they have a lot of private funder. Unlike PLC who had, in the past, few big funder. And BQ and NPD which are also underfunded in a private system.

If we're going into elections again, I'm ready to bet 20$, that will see conservatives with a lot of fewer votes. I wouldn't be surprised even if people would "overthrown" the conservatives from the government.

I don't argue if this is right or wrong what they are are proposing (cutting subsidy to political party). But I really ask myself what is the goal of this... since I think they know that we are MAYBE going into an election. The future of the canadian economy, is really much more important than that, and they should, at least, had a plan this after noon.
          Last edited by CrONoS; November 28, 2008, 01:00.
          bleh

Comment

Didn't the Liberals just trigger a provincial election in Quebec?
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
              Didn't the Liberals just trigger a provincial election in Quebec?
              Yes, we are going to vote in one week.

Liberal are pretty high in polls. They are going to take all the seat from the right populist ADQ in Quebec City, and maybe take the majority. Will depends on how people are feeling after the debates that we had earlier this week.

But mainly people are going to vote liberal, just because they are fedup with elections. We had a provincial elections in 2007 (if i'm right)
              bleh

Comment

Originally posted by CrONoS
                If we're going into elections again, I'm ready to bet 20$, that will see conservatives with a lot of fewer votes. I wouldn't be surprised even if people would be "overthrown" the conservatives from the government.
                I'll take that bet. Who do we send the funds to for safe keeping?

The only way the Conservatives are overthrown is with Bloq support.

Do you have any idea how much poison would be involved in ROC if the Bloq were any part of defeating a government, or worse propping up a coalition?

I doubt very much many would care why. I know I don't, and I didn't vote Tory.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Asher you are not blatantly that stupid; the conservatives, as a strategic moves, are trying to lower the fund of the BQ, NPD, and PLC.
                  The conservatives are losing more money than the other parties with this move.

Whether the other parties are incompetent at fundraising is their issue. If they can't raise money, why would they be able to run the country?

Rather than crying like 13 year old girl cut off from daddy's allowance, perhaps the other parties should take notes from the Conservatives (in Canada) and the Democrats (in the US) for how to raise money...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

The conservatives are losing more money than the other parties with this move.

Whether the other parties are incompetent at fundraising is their issue. If they can't raise money, why would they be able to run the country?
                    Asher, I understand all that. I'm even not against the proposals. I just argue that this is plainly stupid in these times. We have other things to do...

I'm pretty sure, there many conservatives who even don't want this proposals to pass.

Edit: The goal is CLEARLY partisan, Harper know that he is strong right now, and he use that position to in order to be stronger in the future. For God sake, it's 30m$, I'm pretty sure he could have cut elsewhere, and he would have found a lot more of money.
                    Last edited by CrONoS; November 28, 2008, 01:11.
                    bleh

Comment

Asher, I understand all that. I'm even not against the proposals. I just argue that this is plainly stupid in these times. We have other things to do...

I'm pretty sure, there many conservatives who even don't want this proposals to pass.
                      I'm not convinced the government needs to act right now with drastic measures on the economy, so I'm not upset either way.

I'm more amused by how stupid the Liberals are.

If it's "only $30M" I'm not sure why it's a big deal.

I'll be endlessly amused if the Liberals/NDP trigger a $300M election over $20M in funding.

Comment

S. Harper: I wonder what we can do in order to pisses the hell out of every other political parties?

J. Flaherty: Lol! Cut their Funding!

S. Harper: LOL! LOL!
                        bleh

Comment

Finally, do you know what makes me most angry... every ****ing newspaper/leftism blogers/t.v. are going to say the same ****ing diatribes against the conservatives.

And it's get on my nerve when I eat my breakfast...
                          bleh

Comment

S. Harper: I wonder what we can do in order to pisses the hell out of every other political parties?

J. Flaherty: Lol! Cut their Funding!

S. Harper: LOL! LOL!
                            Maybe Dion should have run a candidate against May?

Maybe treatng the Greens as an auxilliary of the Liberals was not a good plan?

It's good politics.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                              Maybe Dion should have run a candidate against May?
                              If I was him, I would return to University Of Montreal, far away from t.v.
                              bleh

Comment

Working...
                              X