Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podcasts -- which ones do not suck?

I have only two podcasts I subscribe to:

#1) TED Talks: Inspired talks by the world's leading thinkers and doers: http://www.ted.com/

This one is terrific because I always feel just a little smarter after listening to what these people have to say.

#2) .NET Rocks: This is more work-related, but it really is a terrific resource for any .NET developers. It's ~1hr long, weekly, and very, very useful (for .NET developers). It's surprisingly popular (2.2 million downloads a month) and well done: http://www.dotnetrocks.com/

So, hit me with more!
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

TED annoys me so much.

I like Zero Punctuation.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
      TED annoys me so much.
      Eh? Why?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Voice communication is too slow, and is difficult to surf through. Text is much better. Can get to information I find interesting and absorb it on the order of 10 times faster.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What KH said.

Comment

Listening to podcasts is of same priority as TV or radio for me. If I have nothing else to do, I will do it. Even vaguely interesting things on the interwebs are much higher priority. Better return on time.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I use them for when I'm on the subway/streetcars each day (~1 hour total).

I can't read on them for various reasons (it's way too crowded, need my hands free to hold on for dear life due to crazy drivers, get motion sick on the streetcars if I read).

So I play podcasts/video podcasts.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                Voice communication is too slow, and is difficult to surf through. Text is much better. Can get to information I find interesting and absorb it on the order of 10 times faster.
                I agree, reading > all.

JM
                (unless I am lazy)
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

PolyCast
                  In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Eh? Why?
                    It it all really obvious stuff by people who don't really matter but think that they do. Reminds me of philosophers really, I wouldn't expect you would like it.

Now I haven't seen much it, only what Frostyboy or someone linked to here.

It reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENbm1mlMDA0

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
                      PolyCast
                      LOL! You're so funny.

No seriously, I wish you a lifetime of Ben Kenobi as your companion for this suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

It it all really obvious stuff by people who don't really matter but think that they do. Reminds me of philosophers really, I wouldn't expect you would like it.
                        The guys they get to talk that I know of certainly do matter. I can't speak for the other people who I'm not familiar with, but what they say is interesting at least.

Comment

Recent favourites:
                          John Hodgman: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/j...igression.html

Bill Joy: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/b...at_s_next.html

David Perry: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/d...ideogames.html

Comment

only because I'm reading his books now
                            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

God, I have even less respect for Jared Diamond now. How can you take someone seriously when they think that combover is a good idea?

Comment

Working...
                              X