Norwegian law is global

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwegian law is global

Norway's parliament has voted yes to a new law that makes it illegal to purchase sexual services. Some might think that controversial enough, but a similar law has already been practiced in Sweden for a decade.

No, the controversial thing about the law is that it is valid also for Norwegians abroad, even in countries where prostitution is completely legalised. So, a norwegian who visits the Amsterdam red light disctrict could expect to see a court if someone at home finds out.

Now the Swedish Leftist Party (former Communists), has suggested that this law should be introduced in Sweden too. Feminists in both the government and Social Democratic opposition have said "it is an interesting tought".

What I find absurd about his law is not the sex trade thing, that is a minor question, but the fact that the lawmakers believe that other nations are not capable of making laws for their own territory.

Now national laws should apply for citizens, wherever they are. Based on the same principles, we must then accept muslims right to practice Sharia law in Scandinavia, among other bizarre consequenses. Or Germans and Danes should be allowed to start bordellos in Sweden, as sex trade is legal in their home countries.
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Norway is an absurdly pathetic excuse for a country.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Prostitutes should just sell candy bars or something for what ever the price of their service would be, and throw that service in for free. That way they aren't selling sexual favors, but just candy bars with benefits.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

There are similar English laws like that, but I think they are civil in nature.

Will check up when I get a chance.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I'm all for criminalizing the buying of sexual services, but it's ridiculous to apply that to foreign countries.
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I want those little islands with polar bears for the USA to own.

Comment

Norway is not the only country that bans its citizens from doing stuff in other countries even if those countries allow it. For example:

Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third Countries

The question is often asked whether United States citizens or permanent resident aliens of the United States may legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and alcohol products, in a third country for personal use outside the United States. The answer is no. The Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of
              the United States from purchasing, transporting, importing, or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions with respect to any merchandise outside the United States if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or (3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus, in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown in Cuba.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Norway's merely exercising its personal jurisdiction over its citizens, not trying to pre-empt foreign laws. The fears in your last paragraph are unfounded, because this is simply the Norwegian justice system dealing with Norwegian citizens, presumably only once they return to Norway, not Norwegians going abroad and insisting that foreign law work their way. Norway insisting that Muslims, Germans or Danes follow Norwegian law while in Norway is perfectly consistent with insisting that Norwegians follow Norwegian law abroad, as well as at home. Personally, I dislike this approach, at least in this case (where the state with the most interest in the transaction has decided it will accept the drawbacks that come with it), but there's nothing absurd about it.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

For Norwegian drivers on the Autobahn, that could be a lose-lose situation. It's not impossible that both obeying the Norwegian speed limit and German demands for minimum speed could be literally impossible.

Just for the sake of nuance, let's keep in mind there are still some things that should be illegal for you to do even if it's not illegal where you're at. This particular thing is just laughable though.

Comment

Such laws are hardly unusual anymore.
                    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Isn't that what the US do? Prosecute their citizens for having sex with underaged Thai boys/girls in Thailand?
                      Graffiti in a public toilet
                      Do not require skill or wit
                      Among the **** we all are poets
                      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

That's illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by onodera
                          Isn't that what the US do? Prosecute their citizens for having sex with underaged Thai boys/girls in Thailand?
                          I think that is a crime also in Thailand, so it isn't comparable.
                          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I mean aged between 15 and 18, which are the ages of consent in Thailand and most of the US respectively.
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

How about Gregor's little Chinese slave boy? That's still cool, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X