Taking an lcd tv on a plane in luggage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking an lcd tv on a plane in luggage

Anyone try this? Mine is small enough to easily fit in a large suitcase or even a mid-size overhead bin suitcase.

Safety-our plan was to place it in a jumbo ziplock bag and then wrap in something soft like towels.

Security-will there be a problem with this?

domestic flight-houston to DC

Call the airline for advice?

Don't do it. Jeez. Come back and whine about how you shouldn't have done it.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

FedEx would be my suggestion. Insured.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I thought the airline showed movies and stuff on most of those flights? Or you could bring a good book.

Comment

FedEx it.

Comment

hmm. fed ex. that does seem like a more prudent choice.

this will be my wife taking the tv, not me, so it will be out of my hands...

Comment

I just took a computer in checked luggage across 4 flights. Several of the parts were in a duffle bag which has a frame on the bottom. No monitor though. I disassembled it, put the components in boxes with some padding... a couple pairs of socks around my video card for instance... nothing got damaged except for the case, which got a little bent as it had padding on 2 sides since it barely fit in my luggage in the other dimensions. Only had a frame on one side. But even that damage was minimal, and I just bent it back. (The exterior panels were unharmed, just a bit of the frame.)

You might run into security concerns with carry on luggage, but there wouldn't be any real risk of damage since you'd be handling it yourself.

Either way I'd recommend putting it in a cardboard box with padding, and making sure that the screen faces towards the metal framing of the luggage. If you have a similar sized metal or plywood panel you could use to protect the screen against puncture it should be pretty safe. (A metal plate would be a security concern with carry on luggage though I'm sure...)

Comment

Working...
              X