Recession...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recession...

I'm becoming more and more worried about the recession.

What are your thought about it?

What's your forecasting?
    bleh

Looks like it is turning into one hell of a recession.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Dow at 5000, period of at least 18 months beginning in October '08. (Average period for a recession is 13 months and the DOW almost never drops 50% so these are fairly dire predictions.) Not yet to the point of "Depression" and I don't expect we'll get there, altho we may personally get a bit depressed.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Bah! The recession is like global warming - MYTHICAL!
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Read Asher's thread. Then figure out why the whole thing didn't collapse completely instead of just going into a recession.

Of course, if you don't have an upside down home mortgage or vast investments headed south, you can just watch and shake your head. At least until the bear gets to your company.
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

YTD stock market performance has been the worst since 1931.

Comment

Let's just get things out the way and start calling it GD2.

Comment

Remains to be seen how much damage to non-financial areas will be done by the end of easy credit.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The key differences between 2008 and 1929:

1. The bubbles are much bigger;

2. The governments know how to handle it much better. The Great Depression's biggest contributor was COMPLETELY ill-designed policies.

Hoover's Treasury Secretary once yelled:"Liquidate stocks! Liquidate real state! Liquidate everything!" With idiots like this in charge, how could the World not catch the Great Depression?
                  Last edited by One_more_turn; November 22, 2008, 20:20.

Comment

I think my 401k is going to hell in a hand basket. :\
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      I think my 401k is going to hell in a hand basket. :\
                      401K = 0.14$

So much for early retirement.
                      And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

I will say this:

I cannot directly attribute, blindly, this inexcuseable economy to one person, GWB.

We have been contributing to this indirectly and directly for years with lavish lifestyles, minimal accountability by the very elite of the elite.

What I will say is by stating with a conviction that it is acceptable to maintain Plausible Deniability is to me unconscienable

Many sitting presidents have done this very thing, over and over, I do feel somewhat that GWB was sitting on top of Old Smokey when she blew, and yes, certainly did some to contribute to its increasded volatility and our certain demise. He did continually say early on, we were not in but for sure we were just outside of freakin recession

Its very bad in the construction Industry mow, at least in southeastern USA

I probably am most bothered by companies and governments allowed to continually spend our hard earned taxpayers funds and then simply walk away when failure envelopes them. Big time CEO's allowed a Golden Parachute, even though a company is bankrupt, shareholder funds depleted, but yet they get paid irreguardless......

I cant fathom exactly how that works, or perhaps should say how that can be allowed?

i reckon one thief overseeing another thrif in the good old boys club is how.......
                        Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

My retirement plan has been reduced to becoming a Walmart greeter.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                            My retirement plan has been reduced to becoming a Walmart greeter.
                            Oerdin, sad that is true my friend, sad indeed
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Social security will go quite far in Central America.
                              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                              X