What's a good numerical base?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good numerical base?

My friend Bing is working on a piece of fiction about a non-human intelligent civilization. He has decided that these creatures will have pseudopods, not fingers. Therefore they can have as many fingers as they want at any given time.

Because of this, their numerical system may start off arbitrarily, rather than going to decimal like we did.

We're trying to figure out what base would be better to use than 10, which is only divisible by 2 and 5.

Bing reckons the minimum number of fingers you really need for fine manipulation is three. But a base-3 system isn't very convenient. I'm suggesting a base-6 system, as that's divisible by 2 and 3. Bing has even toyed with a base-8 or a base-12 system.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Alinestra Covelia; November 19, 2008, 11:28.
    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Bing reckons the minimum number of fingers you really need for fine manipulation is three.

Fine manipulation, you're sure those were his exact words?

Comment

He may have said something about opposable digits. Two fingers alone would give you the ability to hold, but you really need three to manipulate implements in three dimensional space.

This is Bing speaking, so we can't be entirely sure he's on the mark. But he hasn't let me down in general. Although once he starts talking about shotguns his eyes glaze over and we have to lead him away by the arm.
      "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

Base 13
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I was just trying to be naughty about the manipulation bit.

Sorry.

Comment

Base 9
              Then since 9 is 3X3 anyone reading it will start to look for other religious/god references. Since readers find whatever their bias tells them to see, the work of fiction will appear to have deeper levels of meaning.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Winston, I owe you an apology. I totally did not see that and now I feel like an idiot. Worse still, I failed to make good use of prime innuendo potential.

It's a sad day. If you can, please go forth and be doubly naughty today to make up for my lack of intelligence
                "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Base 16 is the only reasonable base.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

How important, mathematically, is it for a base to be divisible by the early primes? 10 is 2 and 5 divisible, but not 3. 6 would be 2 and 3 divisible but not five. The first base that would be divisible by 2, 3, and 5 would be base 30, which is a bit too large for normal everyday use.

Anybody out there good with mathemagical stuffs?
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

If you can, please go forth and be doubly naughty today

I'll try. By all that is most nudge-nudge worthy, I'll try.

Comment

Originally posted by Alinestra Covelia
                        Worse still, I failed to make good use of prime innuendo potential.
                        I didn't intend this, but it came out with a pun already. The day may be salvageable yet.
                        "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

Duh. Base 1.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

They only have one finger??? That sucks.
                            Blah

Comment

Base 60. Go Sumerian.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X