Layaway: Why does exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Layaway: Why does exist?

I'm very annoyed by the ads promoting this. How does it make sense?

The idea, as I gather (and this is new to me), is to pick out items to purchase which the store then holds. You make small incremental payments over time towards it (usually with an associated "layaway" fee?) and only get it when it is fully paid for.

WHY?

Why not just save up your money until you have enough to buy the damn thing?

The only conceivable purpose of this I can see is when the product is in insanely high demand and you want to be sure you can get it when you have the money.

Otherwise you're just giving the store money to invest/earn interest on instead of you?
    Last edited by Asher; November 15, 2008, 14:50.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I guess that it's for people who don't have good credit and/or have trouble saving for large purchases.

It has never made sense to me either.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Layaway
      Pay day lending
      The Lottery
      Rent-to-Own

Ticket to the good life.

Comment

Originally posted by asleepathewheel
        Layaway
        Pay day lending
        The Lottery
        Rent-to-Own

Ticket to the good life.
        All of those suck as well.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

It's a means of precommitting to saving for the item in question. Same with people who pledge to their friends to quit smoking or lose weight. There is an additional cost associated with failing, so you are less likely to fail.

Individuals are not always rational actors. They might know that making a purchase (or quitting smoking) is in their long-term interest, yet display irrationality during certain periods. Layaway is "meta-rationality" to allow the individual to protect himself from his own irrationality.

edit: wrote "rationality" in one instance when I meant "irrationality". Fixed.
          Last edited by KrazyHorse; November 15, 2008, 18:32.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Layaway was a big thing. Then a lot of people went the instant gratification, credit card route. I'm glad to see layaway making a return.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

For poor country people, who want a specific item, its a good way to secure it, pay on it and get what you want

Not evryone has cash and not everyone has credit which is not the way to go either

Gramps
              Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                Layaway was a big thing. Then a lot of people went the instant gratification, credit card route. I'm glad to see layaway making a return.
                I remember W T Grants, Mammoth Mart, JJ Newberry and F W Woolworth all offered this back in late 60's and early 70's

Comment

KH is

Layaway isn't about the on paper logic of a situation, necessarily. It's often about the psychological logic of it all.

It's certainly better than plunging into credit card debt.
                  John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Layaway = Paying a company a fee to hold your money interest free which they invest and earn interest on so you can buy their product.

What a scam.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch
                      It's certainly better than plunging into credit card debt.
                      No it's not. When you buy on credit you get the thing right away. The only value I see for it is for gifts at Christmas time. I've never used it though.
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Deity Dude
                        Layaway = Paying a company a fee to hold your money interest free which they invest and earn interest on so you can buy their product.

What a scam.
                        But the company is also holding onto merchandise they cannot turn an immediate profit on.

So both sides win, maybe the company allowing the layaway does, but not like anyones making people do this, it is just an option

Gramps

Comment

It's a stupid tax for people who have no willpower. Like smokers. Looks like a great idea, then.

Comment

If it weren't for stupid people a lot less money would circulate in the economy.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                              If it weren't for stupid people a lot less money would circulate in the economy.
                              Yes, the economy relies on people like you.
                              Looks like a great idea, then.

Comment

Working...
                              X