Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the other hand....

Bionic hand makes inventions list

The world's first commercially available bionic hand has been recognised as one of the top inventions of 2008.

The hand, developed by Livingston company Touch Bionics, was named alongside the Super Hadron Collider in Time magazine's top 50 innovations.

It came in at 14th place, beating competition from the latest Mars Rover, designed to explore the red planet.

The hand took 20 years to develop and has five separately working fingers.

This makes it more versatile than previous hands, which have often been hook-like and limited to simple opening and closing movements.

The i-limb hand has a much wider range of capabilities. It has a credit-card grip, for taking hold of narrow objects, and a power hold for larger objects such as mugs.

'Tremendous achievement'

It is made of high-strength plastics, and the fingers can easily be unscrewed from the hand, making it easy to service.

Other prosthetic hands have to be removed entirely if they break meaning amputees are sometimes left for weeks without a hand while they wait for a repair.

More than 400 patients have now been fitted with the i-limb hand since its launch.

Touch Bionics chief executive Stuart Mead hailed the recognition as a "tremendous achievement".

He said: "We are delighted to have been identified by Time as one of the inventions of the year, a real honour for any innovative company."

Cool stuff

I think of getting an additional third hand. You can never have enough hands for hard work
    Blah

Be careful that you have the proper grip in gear when you yank your crank.

Other than that, good deal.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

You can now flip someone off with a bionic hand. This IS big.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

(I wish I had one to give a thumbs up for me so I don't have to type that anymore.)

Comment

Re: On the other hand....

Originally posted by BeBro
          I think of getting an additional third hand. You can never have enough hands for hard work
          I wonder if it runs on automatic.
          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I'd think your little man would get quite exhausted in a short amount of time.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai
              I'd think your little man would get quite exhausted in a short amount of time.
              "It is made of high-strength plastics, and the fingers can easily be unscrewed from the hand, making it easy to service."

... guess where that unscrewed (for a while) finger is going ?[/alinestra covelia]

Comment

Alinestra is one dirty minded woman, we all know that.
                Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson

"It is made of high-strength plastics, and the fingers can easily be unscrewed from the hand..."
                  Way to impress kids. Watch the jaws drop....

Comment

Then again, on the gripping hand...

Comment

does the pinky conceal a lockpick?
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

On the other hand, most people will bite it, too.
                        You may have to think about this one.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Japher - No, but the control for other hands´ emotional-level. (Lore, ST-TNG, anyone ?)

Comment

I seem to recall reading that they had to reduce the strength of the hand to stop it breaking stuff. Personally, I'd go for the non-weakened version.

Worthless fools! You've failed me for the last time! *crunch*

Comment

i wonder though - you got to see that you grab something, so that you know, you grab something, right ? I mean there is no sensation in these hands, right ? You cant search for something by fingering around in the dark ? If that is true, it would be pretty hard to tell, if you are holding somebodies hand or squashing it... i guess it takes a lot of practice to use properly...

Another cool thing would be to get handcuffed and then either simply detach the hand (*plop* - haha !), or force you way out with bionic power (*boioioioioing* (you know these sound from the 6-m-man)).

If this gets approved to be paid by german health care, i think we´ll see a lot of loose hands lying around... i, for one, will start to practice chopping with my left hand now...

Comment

Working...
                              X